sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: First build. Toyota SR5

Default First build. Toyota SR5

Well that was fun.
    First I could not do the panhard rod. Total interference with the top of the differential. But I am running a bit of a drop set up and the steering rod is centered. The bump steer is really minimal. So that is no big deal. The really nice thing is now I have proper caster. The original diff has negative caster.

Then after I got it all finished the wheels turned in opposite directions. So I had to flip the front pinion and that fixed it. Now it’s all good and I made a slight shock mod. I’m running two soft springs in each front shock. That is pretty nice.
    Metal bead lock wheels with proline hydrox tires and portals. Should be better I hope.
    That’s about it for this truck. Just maintaining it now.
    There is about 1/2 inch more clearance with the portals. I really like them. Might order a set of metal straight ones for another build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not done yet. The CG is a little high. I’m going to go back and redo the shocks again for the one millionth time.long, Soft springs and two hole pistons with med, med springs on top.
    The Desert Lizards shocks definitely work great. But the adjustment process is very labor intensive.

Ok now I have the rig as good as it has ever been.
    Official Desert lizard 90mm shock set up.
    32.5 weight oil
    Two hole pistons
    Lightest spring short on top long on bottom.
    At speed over shutter bumps it is pretty flat. Without bounce.
    And over my rock course test track. It has plenty of articulation. And with the portals it has good articulation.

I’ll go out to the big fossil gorge this weekend and do real world testing.

It ran over my course without falling on its side . Even going pretty fast over the tricky rocks it did not tip over. That’s the best yet.

Default First build. Toyota SR5

Out today crawling at my favorite rock pile. A place called Fossil Gorge. It’s part of a dam spillway. I have been there many times. But this was the first time Ive ever seen other crawlers there. I wanted to try out the new portals and new Hyrox tires. At first the tires slipped on even the slightest thing. But quickly broke in. Second problem was my rear drive shaft was not in properly. The grub screws were not lined up with the holes in the pinions. So as soon as I get traction I was front wheel drive. That was an easy fix. The cool thing about having company was I found challenges I would never have tried. One was a wedge area that I could not get up. Mostly because of traction. I did manage to get up it but had to give my truck a slight push in the middle. So it is possible. But not today. My battery went to 39% before I tried it again. I did watch a TRX4 do it with some nice mods . So I love a challenge. I totally bashed my body trying. But that all was easy to fix. I think I need to build a low CG truggy next.

Doing the rocks. I want to lower the CG on this rig dramatically. I ordered high clearance links and shock mount extensions. And different sliders. I’m probably going to make it into a truggy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345