sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First build. Toyota SR5

I would not make a body from sheet styrene. I would make some small additions to the body. Small panels or a fuel tank. Stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m setting up the Desert lizards 90mm shock for trail running and occasional rock climbing. I’m going to document as I go with experimentation on oil weight piston and spring selection.

First step is oil weight. I’m going with a middle of the road oil. 32.5 weight.

Next I have four choices of pistons. One ,two, three or four holes. I installed two hole pistons

Now I have three sets of springs. Soft medium and hard. Each set has short medium and long. So I have a lot of choices. The shocks are two stage. That means each shock has a spring above the piston pushing the truck down and a spring below the piston pushing the truck up.

I don’t want a belly dragger and I’m installing portals. So I want the short spring on top. I installed the short soft spring on top and the long soft spring on the bottom.

This is OK for the back but the battery weight bottoms out the front . So that’s no good.

I am going to put in the long medium spring on the bottom and then see how the truck handles the trail.

I installed the medium long spring in the front bottom. But with the soft upper it just topped out the shock. Then I replaced the short soft upper with the med length medium spring, so now the front is medium long and med front and short soft, long soft rear. That seemed OK in my back yard rock course. It did seem just a little soft out back. It let the front wheel rise up to much causing a roll over. So I think I’ll change the rear to med med top and medium long medium bottom for the back and retest tomorrow.

My feeling is the hard springs are way to hard for anything. The medium are still to hard and soft is to soft. I might try double soft up front os something else later.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    I would not make a body from sheet styrene. I would make some small additions to the body. Small panels or a fuel tank. Stuff like that.

Yeah its a great way to eas into styrene building

Quote Originally Posted by Moose79 View Post
    Yeah its a great way to eas into styrene building
    I am a metal worker/fabricator. I build custom race bikes using fiberglass and steel and aluminum. And I scratch build aerobatic RC Airplanes. But I have never done anything with styrene. So I’m really interested in trying it. Just need to experiment with the glue and what I can get away with regarding joint strength, and glue strength.

Well after spending four more hours testing and taking apart the shocks more time then I can count I think I have them dialed in.
    So 32.5 weight oil. Four hole pistons.
    Front has medium length and medium strength springs top and bottom. The rear has soft long springs on the bottom and medium soft springs on top. But the rear are mounted one hole lower in the shock tower. This gives a fair amount of drop. I did loose some ground clearance. But I hope the portals will get this back.
    The biggest problem I have now is servo strength and articulations of the front end on the right side. I think I need to go to a three link with panherd rod setup. And a high voltage servo. Spent a couple hours on my rock corse. There is one rock that I can’t climb at an angle. It is just the right Angle to lift the front wheel and then when the rear wheel touches it. It flips me over.

Out on the rocks today. I found the slipper clutch was very loose. I noticed this when I first installed the all metal Injora transmission. I tightened the spring all the way and after a quick trail run it seemed fine. But I really had to tighten it all the way down. After about two weeks of crawling on rocks and trail running, it just started to slip again. So I disassembled it to see what was going on.

Guess what?? There was no clutch! That’s right. The two parts that form sort of a clutch drum were only making contact on the outer rim of the plate. There was nothing inside at all. And the three screws that hold the spur gear are .010 to long and stuck inside. There was no marks from them on the other side of the plate. The only contact was about half a shin line on the outer drum. So I used a 1/64 plywood piece and cut a washer shaped plate. I machined down the screws. And sandwiched the plywood disc between the two half’s. This made a perfect clutch material. I tightened the spring till it will slip at about 75% throttle. Now it will spin the tires long before the clutch lets go. But still slips if the tire is in a bind.

I also did some steering mods. I’m going to convert to a three link pan hard system. So I swapped the servo and the front steering knuckles around to accommodate the bar from left to right. Still waiting on portals and a new front shock tower with pan hard mount.

Can you find the truck? This is the steepest hill I can find. Somewhat technical made it up to the top turned around and drove back down on the first try.

Sporting 3s battery so it’s lighter out front and definitely more punch. One hour of hills and trails and it used 65% of a 3000 mA battery.

lol my basher lasts 10 minutes waiting for some money so i can get a long play time battery i need to find a shorty pack small enough

The Portals arrived. I’m going to install them and make a pan hard set up. They look amazing. Can’t wait to see how they perform.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast