sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First build. Toyota SR5

Default First build. Toyota SR5

I just took the plunge. I ordered an SCX 10 2 chassi. It’s a clone From eBay. I am going to build a copy of one of my favorite trucks. I had a 1985 Toyota 4x4 with 33x10 tires and Smittybuilt bumpers. I just loved that truck. The 22 r engine never let me down and I had all sort of adventures with it. The frame rusted out and I gave it away.

My plan is to order parts one or two at a time and start building it up. I want a Capra and an SCX 10-iii. But don’t really have enough money at the moment.
    What really put me over the top was finding the RC nerds bumpers and proline hellix body. I will need to figure out a rear cab. That will take some fun fabrication. I’ll probably just use a roll bar to begin with. This is my first step at scale rock crawling. And probably my first of many crawling rigs. But you gotta start someplace.

The total budget for this is $500.00. The chassis was 116 with tires and free shipping. The chassis is a axial clone by Austar. It looks OK and I hope it is good enough for a first scale crawler.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F293105285899

The chassis arrived today. From the looks of it, I am very happy. It cost 116 dollars with tax and shipping . That included wheels and tires and the motor. As I am totally new to the scale four wheel drive scene. I don’t have anything to compare it to. But I would say for a first rig this is a good start. Yes I will probably upgrade the shocks. But the motor is a 35T brushed unit. I will add a hobby wing 1080 esc, and I have a decent servo for the steering. The body is on its way. I ordered the Toyota body after all. That and the esc are about 100 bucks. I have a radio and a servo and receiver. Plus I have all the tools I need. So I’m looking at 250 bucks with battery. To get going . Then another transmitter once I decide on one and get the money for it. But that’s not to bad for a first trail truck.

Making progress
    I mounted the Toyota body. It’s all painted black. Need to use a satin black in the bed to look like a bed liner. I also made a rear bumper from 5/16 aluminum rod. Next I’m going to braze together a roll bar. If that does not look good I’ll just buy one from shapeway.
    I have a steering servo. It’s a low voltage high torque model. At 6 volts it should be enough to get started. I should have my hobbywing 1080 ESC Monday. Then the only thing left is the battery and radio.
    I have my aircraft radio in it now just to operate the steering. I’m surprised there is not bump steer. It has a four ink front suspension no panhard bar and seems fine.

The next big purchase is the radio. I am going to get a DX5 Rugged. I figure I might as well go for a good radio. And I have all spectrum stuff for my airplanes.

Sounds great! I would like to se some pictures of your build.

Just a couple photos of my Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a metal mount for the GoPro. Time to buy a radio. Really looking at the Dx5 Rugged.

Working on the roll bar. I made it out of scrap brake line. And a couple bolts from Ace Hardware. I can’t find my silver solder. So I screwed it together by tapping the line. I am thinking about building a whole honcho rear cage. I have to order some silver solder and flux so while I’m waiting for that I might just try this. Bolting to the plastic bed is not going to last if I roll it over so I need to reinforce it somehow. I have some plate aluminum that might work with some washers. I think this is going to be OK for now

Painted and primed the roll bar with rustolium paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
    Need to mount the roll bar then sand it out and paint it a satin black finish coat of paint.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast