sbg  

Pro-Line

Thread: Airbrush paint brand help recommendations!?

Default Airbrush paint brand help recommendations!?

There are SO SO many choices... I get the whole Lexan bodies need the special and expensive paint, but what about the regular hard plastics?

Is there paint that is sprayable right from the bottle? Or do they really all need to be thinned down some?

And specifically, how about the Apple Barrel brand from Walmart? I found a couple threads using them for this application, but also saying they needed to be thinned down. The price is right and availability good, especially for starting off and building up a collection.

I bought a handful of those to try out and hopefully get a feel for the airbrushing. You frequently get what you pay for, so if they are going to be bad for working with models, whatever, I can use them elsewhere.

I use Vallejo Model Air. Doesn't need thinning, but I thin with a drop of flow enhancer anyway.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

I use Ammo by Mig and Vallejo,Vallejo do paint sets for around £35 ($40 !!) with 16 paints in each. basic colour set, fantasy figure colour set etc.
    The cheaper paints can have coarser pigments that can clog an airbrush so that's why I use the brands I mentioned.
    I thin my paint 10 to 1, if I only need a small amount I put 10 drops of paint in the airbrush cup and 1 drop thinner and use a plastic cocktail stick to mix it, or for if I need a lot I add the paint and thinner to a mixing jar, they cost me a few £/$ for 6 empty bottles, once you empty a jar you can save that for mixing.
    The thinner I use not only thins the paint but has a retarder and stops the paint drying to quickly or you can get a rough surface almost like very fine sand paper. If you think how fine the paint comes out of the airbrush it can almost be a powder when it hits the surface especially if its a large surface and youre holding the brush a good distance away.
    With thinned paint you can also use lower pressure and get closer for fine detailed stuff

I love Tamiya paints. Straight from bottle plus a couple drops of this Vallejo flow enhancer/retardant https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QD780G0...osi&th=1&psc=1

Alright I have seen tons of recs for Vellejo everywhere I look. It seems to be one of the most popular. I will save up and grab one of their multi-packs next, if there is a next one lol. Is there a particular pack that lends itself better to general crawler scale modeling? I would imagine Matt has dome an in depth video on this, but so far haven't come across it other than in random mentions...

In the meantime, I might as well try out this Apple Barrel paint to at least try and get a feel for airbrushing. OBVIOUSLY not on anything RC related, but I have some backgrounds and paper models for the trains I can fool around with. I have no issues with burning this paint, I spent $8 and got 16 2oz bottles!!! I wonder if that flow enhancer would help with it too??? Hummm...

If it gives me ANY clogging issues, I will grab one of the Iwata clones and save my genuine Iwata for the good stuff. I need to grab a clone anyways, I don't have the needle wrench. That is $15, a clone with a wrench is $20-30. Duh, easy choice. LOL! Ugh crap, I have to go back to the shop, I forgot to get my tap and die set.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlustking View Post
    Alright I have seen tons of recs for Vellejo everywhere I look. It seems to be one of the most popular. I will save up and grab one of their multi-packs next, if there is a next one lol. Is there a particular pack that lends itself better to general crawler scale modeling? I would imagine Matt has dome an in depth video on this, but so far haven't come across it other than in random mentions...

In the meantime, I might as well try out this Apple Barrel paint to at least try and get a feel for airbrushing. OBVIOUSLY not on anything RC related, but I have some backgrounds and paper models for the trains I can fool around with. I have no issues with burning this paint, I spent $8 and got 16 2oz bottles!!! I wonder if that flow enhancer would help with it too??? Hummm...

If it gives me ANY clogging issues, I will grab one of the Iwata clones and save my genuine Iwata for the good stuff. I need to grab a clone anyways, I don't have the needle wrench. That is $15, a clone with a wrench is $20-30. Duh, easy choice. LOL! Ugh crap, I have to go back to the shop, I forgot to get my tap and die set.
    The Vallejo Model Air Basics set is pretty good, if it came with a silver it would be great lol take a look on there website as you might see a set that suits you better. A thinner/retarder will only help when spraying.
    I have a Badger 360 airbrush that ive had for many years, last year I got a Iwata Revolution HP-CR both work great, a few months ago a got a no name airbrush off Amazon for £14, thought id get it just to throw primer on large areas, I might as well blow paint through a straw than use that cheap 1 I think its luck of the draw to get a good 1 with the cheap brushes, but its worth a try for the price.

I have heard that the biggest issue with the cheap brushes is poorly polished needles. Seems that is a simple solution that fixes most of them.

The Badger 360 was top on my list to get. I only grabbed the Iwata as I got it for just a little more than the price of a cheap clone, LOL! I may still grab a 360. I can get them off the tool trucks.