sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My version of the ICON FJ44

Default My version of the ICON FJ44

So normally it is not my style to copy someone else's work very closely. I do borrow ideas and methods but try not to copy. My good friend Kevin contacted me just before Xmas and said he had one of his customers that wanted an ICON FJ44 just like the one he had built. Kevin didn't want to build a 2nd one so he asked me if I would be interested in building the 2nd. Well I agreed. I feel that this one is going to challenge me to put the same amount of care, attention and detail into a build as Kevin did. So here we go.

I decided to start with 2 Cruiser body's and make them into 1 long cruiser. not sure if this was smart or not. some challenges either way but this is what I have done. The rear door hinges where kinda weird and had to have the upper hinge dropped. the rear doors are a lot more narrow as well. the fuel door had to be relocated as well. kinda started mocking up interior but will put the brakes on the body until I can get the chassis mocked up. This can now do since I have rough body and wheelbase.

20200126_210441.jpg
    20200126_210452.jpg
    20200126_210445.jpg

Primer on to see where i need to touch up outside of body.

20200220_191029.jpg
    20200220_191035.jpg
    20200220_191043.jpg
    20200220_191334.jpg
    20200220_191240.jpg

some nice RC4wd axles and proline tires.

20200220_191136.jpg

The closest Wheels I could find are from SSD. 8 holes anyways. However I am hoping to set the right amount of detail to this build by adding in some valves stems. LOL.

20200220_191124.jpg

time to start chassis building.....
    Last edited by Wrencher; 02-20-2020 at 07:50 PM.

Well that's a fun project! Nice start too.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

already looking great. I think i have a spare interior door panel if you want it let me know FREE

Super cool, looking forward to this one!

This one is going to be a looker! Are you going to do a hard top or a rag top?

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Well that's a fun project! Nice start too.
    fun so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bonards29 View Post
    already looking great. I think i have a spare interior door panel if you want it let me know FREE
    thanks man.door panels i am making something kinda custom to match the ICON ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Super cool, looking forward to this one!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsler View Post
    This one is going to be a looker! Are you going to do a hard top or a rag top?
    the plan is a rag top. A few ideas in my head how to make a proper one but still not sure If it will work. so if anyone has ideas on how to make good looking ragtops please share.

Well a few days in the shop getting the chassis started. Trying my bestest to make this as close to the real one as possible. Started with some axial frame rails and rc4wd axles. Here are a few pics of the real trucks chassis I have been working from.

I found this picture very helpful.

first thing was to straighten out some axial frame rails.

then to bend them again and make fit the body

the cross pieces in middle and rear are temporary and just there to help thing stay straight till I get the cross members all fabbed up.

Next step was to make some brackets for the rear axle. Then some on the frame and get the rear suspension set in place. using Rc4wd rod ends and found some nice little scale looking shocks from MST that are about the right size and super smooth. They come with 3 sets of springs so I can tune them nicely

Time to start working on the front suspension.

Chris

So much fun watching your work. I know you'll ace this one.

Well the chassis work continues. Lots of free time in the shop last few days. I was really trying to focus on the finer details of the chassis. I managed to get the front suspension mounts and the front shock towers to look something like the real thing. took some head scratching but finally figured a process to make them. then on to getting trans and tcase mounted. I had to use a divorced tcase as the only ones I could find with tcase bolted to back of trans the front output was on wrong side. After getting those two mounted I started making the body mounts. the little rear ones over rear axle where a bit tricky but I think they look the part. Anyways enough typing here are some pics of the progress.

That's all for now. Ride height is pretty close. should be able to fine tune from here by preloading shocks. Chassis is finished enough for now that I can get the floor in and start working on interior.

Chris
    Last edited by Wrencher; 03-24-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Looking stunning. Particularly like the way you've modded an scx10 frame-shows what you can do with every day components to create something very special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast