sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby Burb!

Default Derby Burb!

For those not familiar with Motorama, it's an indoor car show/race event held once a year at the PA Farm show Complex in Harrisburg PA. At this event, they have all kinds of racing from Motocross too fighting robots.

Well the Demoo Derby series have been at this venue for the past 4 years and my cousin wanted to run again and came to me looking for something interesting to run.

His only request was for it too look cool, it didn't need to be competitive, so instantly I thought the new Suburban molds I had would be perfect!

I knew this was going to be a challenge since the Traxxas chassis that is required, are wider then the body but have a shorter wheelbase.

I started by putting the wheels on it from last years run to get a feel for how much I would need to add to the body.

then I started making panels beginning with the quarters.

now for this year I was able to acquire thicker aluminum than what I use for my trucks. normally I use .005", this is twice as thick at .010" but still annealed so I could form it over the molds but there was still some trouble getting the corners nice.

the rear doors were next

then the roof.

the panels fit pretty good

I kept a lot of material on the inside to attach. we are not allowed to use glue so I need to fit rivits in there.

then I made the tailgate. you can see here how much I added to get the width I needed.

fit pretty good.

now the molds have not been trimmed on purpose. if you look in the above pic you can see 2 drip rails above the doors. they are actually the same body detail on the original body. that's how much material I needed to add to the width of the roof to get the body to sit over the tires.

More later

Ha this is awesome! As usual with you. Love these metal builds.

Looks killer so far! This'll be awesome to watch come together... ...and probably come apart spectacularly!

For some reason that body width is kinda reminding me of the dodge Superior wide body conversion 'fatgirl' ambulances
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/0...ody-ambulance/

If legal, would a Rustler or Bandit chassis fit under the Burb easier than the Slash?

Hopefully the 0.010 is a better mix between your 0.005s realistic smash, and their 0.060 aluminum that acts more like Tanks and APCs running into each other.

Your cousin is going to enjoy this immensely! So cool!!!!

That will be a very cool one for sure! It will be interesting to see the whole widened body! Super nice fabrication as always, there is definitely a huge cool factor to have it all sheet metal!

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    Ha this is awesome! As usual with you. Love these metal builds.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzen View Post
    Looks killer so far! This'll be awesome to watch come together... ...and probably come apart spectacularly!

For some reason that body width is kinda reminding me of the dodge Superior wide body conversion 'fatgirl' ambulances
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/0...ody-ambulance/

If legal, would a Rustler or Bandit chassis fit under the Burb easier than the Slash?

Hopefully the 0.010 is a better mix between your 0.005s realistic smash, and their 0.060 aluminum that acts more like Tanks and APCs running into each other.
    I'm a bit behind updating this as he already ran it this weekend and yes, it did come apart spectacularly!
    that ambulance is hilarious!
    Yes you can run bandit and Rustlers but they would never hold up to the abuse. 4x4 Slash is pretty much the go-to chassis for this and what my cousin decided to use.
    Actually the metal they use is .020" so it's not much thicker then what I used here but yes they normally look like tanks with their lack of damage which is the exact reason i'm doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Your cousin is going to enjoy this immensely! So cool!!!!
    Yes he did!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    That will be a very cool one for sure! It will be interesting to see the whole widened body! Super nice fabrication as always, there is definitely a huge cool factor to have it all sheet metal!
    Thanks! the wide body worked out better then I thought it would. What's also cool is this is the first 1/10 metal Suburban body ever, and it's going to get trashed!

Next on the lest was front doors and fenders. the wheelbase is about an inch too short so I tried compensating by cutting some off the rear of the front fenders.

I didn't want to take too much off so I opted to cut the rear fenders a bit to clear the tires

next I tucked the bumper up to make it stronger and get it behind the grill support

the hood was next. again you can see how much wider I needed to make it.

test fit was good. now it's starting to look like something

I knew that a lot of riveting was in my future so I splurged and bought an air powered rivet gun.

and went to town!

the bumpers are 3 layers, one continuous piece

front clip was done as a unit.

Holy rivets batman!

More later!

Tools rock.
    Rivet gun......even better.
    Burb is coming along -super- fantastic.

Yes I actually spelt "super" correct....haaaa
    our lil joke.hehehehe
    Run what Ya Brung.

Love this, please can we have some photos during/afterthe event??

Please do make sure to have someone makes a VIDEO of the event!! Can't be missing that! It will be pretty solid with all those rivets and the brown boxy inside, is'nt it? Should be pretty scale damage! Tough but not too much.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Beers View Post
    Tools rock.
    Rivet gun......even better.
    Burb is coming along -super- fantastic.

Yes I actually spelt "super" correct....haaaa
    our lil joke.hehehehe
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Love this, please can we have some photos during/afterthe event??
    Yep, i'm getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    Please do make sure to have someone makes a VIDEO of the event!! Can't be missing that! It will be pretty solid with all those rivets and the brown boxy inside, is'nt it? Should be pretty scale damage! Tough but not too much.
    there is going to be tons of video!

The frame is pretty strong but the body is not. that's what I was going for. most, if not all, of the other competitors make shoebox looking things with no detail and are very tough showing almost no damage.

More rivets!!!

after what seemed like hours of drilling and riveting it was starting to look like a truck!

time to start on the tail gate.

Now the rules say you can add a deck from the body mount to the tail gate but it doesn't say it had to be flat so I added some ribs for strength

now I could finally attach the body to the support frame.

and the final fit on the chassis.

I don't like how the front tires stick out but i'll worry about that later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast