sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The “Little Henry Ford”

Default The “Little Henry Ford”

I started to build “Little Henry Ford”, a 1932 Ford Roadster highboy Hot Rod built in the 1960’s West Coast style. 1/8 scale. I’m using a Revell plastic body and fabbing up the chassis. I have always thought the ‘32 Ford frame is a work of art and I want to replicate its beauty.

I started by printing out a 1/8 schematic of a ‘32 frame to work from. I used 3/4 inch square tube and 1/2 square tube for the frame rail material. I cut, bent, welded, grind, repeat over and over all the while checking my measurements with the schematic. Pretty fun and time consuming for me. ‘32 frame rails are 3 dimensional with compound curves and varying dimensions. The first frame rail took me about 8 hours to make, a lot of figuring where to cut, bend, etc. The other rail took about 4 hours. I enjoy working with steel. I spent about 2 hours on a second frame rail set and am about 1/2 done. I would like to be able to make a set of frame rails on under two hours. That is my goal anyway.

Here are some mock-up pics. If you squint, the rear tires are old school dirt trackers. I’m still considering front tires and have a couple of versions on order to try out.

My goal is to build the chassis as near scale as possible. Once I get frame rails that I comfortable with, it will be time for suspension components.

Nice! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses

Love it when scale means scale, and those frame rails are already looking very scale!!!! More Please!

Thanks! I'm happy with how the frame rails are coming out. I have been scratching my head on how to get the relief along the side of the rail that the 1:1's have. The 1:1's have a slight bend along a portion of the rail that give a great look. I picked up a metal cutting bit for my dremel and I'm going to try and mimic that relief by cutting it in the rail. Not sure it it will work. The only other idea is to set up a steel die and smack the relief into the rail with a BFH - which is probably how the 1:1's were made.

Hummmm
    I cant see any pics ? even logged in ???
    Run what Ya Brung.

Yeah, me too. My pics went away. Photobucket is not being nice to me. I’ll try to work it out.

Edit: Should be working now.

Fun project!!

If Photobucket is giving you trouble (I can see the pics in Post#5) you can also try using our own hosting system (as you're a Supporting level member). It's the picture icon next to the filmstrip in Quick Reply or Advanced mode.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

imthatguy, yes, I’m doing that now. I’m still getting the hang of things. Much easier using the hosting system here. Thanks!

27F695BC-BF26-4296-ABF4-4EEE615DCFB1.jpg

I can see the pics now. Oh that’s awesome!
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast