sbg  

GearHead
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The “Little Henry Ford”

Wow! Love it. Do you have any how to on the frame bending?
    If you build it, We will watch!

Very beautiful!

Thanks everyone! Regarding the frame rail bending process.....I primarily bent the frame rails into shape by putting them into a large vise and bending them by hand. Mostly I left the vise about an inch open and used the vice jaws as leverage to bend the rails by hand. I did do some bending with larger pliers and even some bending by hand over my leg. It is a slow repetitive process of small bend and then compare rail to 1/8 scale print out of 1932 Ford frame to assure the shape. Do this over and over and over until it takes the needed shape. No real tricks really, more cave-man style.

I also have differing frame rail heights that was accomplished by a combination of pie cutting the rail and different size frame rail material (0.75 inch and 0.5 inch) and welding.

Painting:

I started the painting process. I realize I didn’t take any pictures of the painted bodies. I will do that this weekend and get them posted. Here is a shot in primer. I sanded the bodies, shot them with automotive primer, sanded the primer and then shot two of the bodies with automotive paint and one with regular rattle-can paint. I'm still on the fence about what paint provides the best quality. The automotive paint seems to go on thinner and flows better (I like that), but I'm having some difficulty getting consistent coverage appearance (some hazing). I am going to polish and wax the paint to see if I can clean it up. The normal rattle-can paint goes on super thick, covers even, but seems to look more toy like. I will experiment some more to see what I like best.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are the cherry black and black bodies. The brown is still in the paint shop.

Spent half the day finishing up the frame and working on the rear suspension. I need to shorten the rear leaf spring just a bit, like maybe 4-5 mm per side. Also mounted the floor.

Although I don’t plan on running fenders, I did a mock-up for fun.

Pretty amazing, mini assembly line....I can see one finished as a period correct High Boy!!!

Working on motor mounts and cross members today. Here is a mock-up pic.

Transmission cross member done. Adjusted rear suspension for more travel and clearanced the floor and firewall to fit motor/transmission.

Glamour shot.

Very nice!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234