sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stomper 2 Clodbuster Retro Racer

Default Stomper 2 Clodbuster Retro Racer

I am a long time fan of Monster Trucks. The original trucks all came out when I was a kid and I have been a fan all of my life. I think they are just awesome machines with so many great details throughout while clinging to their instrument of destruction identity. While Bigfoot was the original monster truck, the very first truck that I saw in person was the original Stomper Bully. It did an exhibition pass at a TNT tractor pull event, and it was so amazing at the time.

In the past few years it seems that the Retro class of RC monster trucks has really been taking off. Watch some Trigger King videos on youtube if you want to see some amazing retro racing action and also check out MTRCracing for some awesome scale retro action. I've got a Clodbuster that I have owned since around 2000 I think, that got converted to a Thunder Tech Ripper race truck back in the day but has sat on the shelf for a decade and a half.

Here is it in all it's glory complete with two Trinity Saphire 17T motors that were pretty sweet back then.

This chassis was pretty awesome back in the day, but technology has outpaced it and I don't want to race or beat on this one since it is still in good shape. So, I decided to take the Clod axles back off and build a Retro class racer, where the Clod is basically the truck to have.

Anyone that remembers knows that there are tons of great vintage monster trucks to base a build off of. Obviously Bigfoot is popular along with Grave Digger (who I have always been a fan of) along with many others. I don't want to do a truck that everyone else has done already, but I also want to do a truck that I actually liked back in the day as well. Enter Stomper 2. After the original Somper Bully was out a few years, Chevy went to the newer body style and Stomper evolved with it adopting a new paint scheme as well. A second Stomper truck was added (Somper 2) that was basically a sister truck, but not identical. I liked the yellow Stomper trucks back in the day. They did ok competing, but also had some memorable crashes that made the highlight reels and racing intros. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNReT2joHl4

So, this is what I will be shooting for. I'm using the JConcepts '88 Chevy Silverado body as a base along with a sicNme 1" stretch retro chassis to build off of.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

I'm always intrigued at these old-school monster trucks with leaf springs. Jumping one of these over cars must take some serious bravery.

Great choice on the less known Stomper. Looking forward to this.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    I'm always intrigued at these old-school monster trucks with leaf springs. Jumping one of these over cars must take some serious bravery.

Great choice on the less known Stomper. Looking forward to this.
    The evolution from their humble beginnings to where they are today with Monster Jam trucks is pretty amazing. Those OG guys were crazy. :)

I guess a build needs to start with some parts. First, the axles were removed from the Ripper chassis and the Speed Gems motors removed. I managed to find the original silver can motors that came with this Clod. I'm not a hoarder...nope.

I really am not a hoarder, because when I moved five years ago, I think I threw out a perfectly good bucket of old Clodbuster plastic parts and misc. stuff that I had been saving for like 20 years. Fortunately what it needed for this build was available on a couple of parts trees that are fairly inexpensive and easy to get.

I've never really been a fan of the Clod's wheelbase...just too short for it's size. Fortunately Retro class rules allow wheelbase alterations that are appropriate for the body you are using. I picked up an aluminum chassis from sicNme products that features a 1" wheelbase stretch. While I was at it I also picked up their aluminum anti-rotation brackets. Anyone that has ever owned a Clod knows this is the first part to break. Never again!

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

I don't consider keeping tins of random screws for decades to be hoarding. I've had this tin of stock hardware from my old Clod and Juggernaut for over 20 years now...and it is finally going to pay off.

With my trusty tin of screws, nuts, etc. I was able to get all the correct factory hardware sorted out to put these axles back to stock.

[

I also grabbed all the stock pivot balls from the og plastic chassis I had lying around.

The steering setups on the stock Clodbuster is probably it's worst feature. There have been countless ways to do on the axle steering setups for these trucks, but I picked this setup from Xtreme Racing to try.

Man, I tell you, there is really something great about putting together this old Tamiya stuff. The Tamiya way is so crazy and has so many out of the box designs, but it all works and goes together like it should. This was a big trip down memory lane for sure.

And just like that the axles are done. Chassis assembly begins next.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

So, the first order of business is painting the chassis. I went with a simple matte black.

The stock ball studs go on next.

And just like that the axles get bolted up! To keep this retro themed, I'm using some 90mm Old Man Emu shocks from RC4WD. There will eventually be eight of them used on this chassis.

Now it's time to move on to electronics. There is a mountain of room in the upper "tub" of the chassis for mounting basically everything. I wanted to tray and keep the weight low so that I could get some decent performance our of the thing. I ended up designing a bolt in battery try that a shorty 2S lipo fits into. Not seen is the retainer plate that goes up top...but it fits perfectly and hides the battery pretty well.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Roller status achieved.

The rest of the RC4WD shocks came in and got attached. I robbed the transport wheels/tires off of my ZRD temporarily until I can print some more. Now I can move it around the shop as needed. :)

For the ESC, I went with the Hobbywing 880 Dual. It is an inexpensive ESC that is programable and has dual motor output, which is perfect for the Clodbuster. I picked up a Sanwa clone receiver that works perfectly.

The steering system was giving me fits, so I decided to try something else. The original system I chose was tight up against the ladder bar and front shock which seemed to cause some binding and put the shock in a serious bind if the axle had a bit of twist in it. I also wasn't happy with the steering link geometry relative to the servo arm.

I switched over the the ZRP Retro Racer steering setup. This moved the servo out front, but created a different issue. The bottom of the inverted servo hit the chassis before full compression, limiting travel. I solved this by using some 4mm spacers under the servo mount. I like this arrangement a lot better.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

You could go with lowprofile servos to combat the frame contact issue

Quote Originally Posted by jannekoskinen View Post
    You could go with lowprofile servos to combat the frame contact issue
    That is an option, but most of the low profile servos that I have seen are a little low on torque.

I bought a set of MCI decals for this project originally, but they had a significant error on the hood/front fender stripes. They just went straight up and didn't make the turn and come down to the front of the hood. I decided to just do all the graphics in paint at that point.

First, I got the body mounts squared away.

Next all the masking had to be done. I made some templates and traced them onto some tape applied over some wax paper. The tape patterns were then cut out and applied to the body.

Next is when i ruined it. The yellow on the truck isn't a bright yellow, but certainly not a dark, orangey yellow.

I thought that if I started with Tamiya Camel Yellow and backed it with white that it would lighten it up and get me to that yellow in the middle. Stupid me didn't do a test on some scraps before I started and ended up getting it all wrong. The exposure in the pic and the color of my shop lighting make it look a little better, but it is pretty orange looking and not salvageable at this point. So a new body is on the way and a new paint strategy is in the works. I think this time I am going to try a some light coats of the PS-6 yellow and then back with the Camel yellow to see how that looks. And of course, it will be tested on scraps first this time. LOL
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

D'oh! On the bright side, now you need a new project to fit under that Chebby school bus body Seriously, this is coming along awesome. One of the best parts of your threads is your crisp, well lit pics and absolutely killer garage

Quote Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
    D'oh! On the bright side, now you need a new project to fit under that Chebby school bus body Seriously, this is coming along awesome. One of the best parts of your threads is your crisp, well lit pics and absolutely killer garage
    Haha. Yeah, but likely this will end up being the "runner" body. Thanks for the compliments on the pics and garage.

So, I went ahead and finished out the painting process for a little practice and to make sure that my stripes were going to turn out the way I intended. I'm pretty happy with it overall. Now I need to do it all over again.

Next, along with the repainting process, I am going to start working on some of the detail parts on the truck. Most of it will be new design/3D printed stuff, but I did stumble across this pair of 1/12 Predator carbs on Shapeways and decided to give them a try. Size wise, they seem perfect for this particular body. No air cleaners though, so I will end up designing up a set of those to go with them.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast