sbg  

GearHead
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stomper 2 Clodbuster Retro Racer

I'm not sure how I missed your original post about the Spaz Stix. They came out amazing man, beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    I'm not sure how I missed your original post about the Spaz Stix. They came out amazing man, beautiful work.
    No worries. Thank you.

A few more details on this thing.

The 1:1 has some scatter shields made from tread plate on either side, so I tried to replicate them. Some mounting brackets were designed and 3D printed first, then some tread plate pieces were cut from some RC4WD material.

The RC4WD material is pretty shiny and I wanted to dull that down a bit. It got sprayed with some Tamiya bright silver which seemed just about right. The plates and brackets were then installed with some double sided tape. It all looks close enough for a racer I think.

Next up is getting the roll bar and light bar finished up. First they were painted with some matte black. They got 4 generous coats of Krylon Fusion paint, allowing some drying time in between coats. This technique does a pretty good job of filling in and leveling out the porous nature of the SLS 3D printed material. After drying a few days they got a coat of Spaz Stix black backer and then a coat of the mirror chrome. Obviously this can't replicate a true chrome finish, but it is reasonably close.

-Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Scatter shields and roll bar both came out great. I'll need to pick up some of that diamond plate for my Virginia Giant build for the floor pan. I'm so anxious to see yours done, can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Really a cool looking build. Wish I had kept my Clodbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    Scatter shields and roll bar both came out great. I'll need to pick up some of that diamond plate for my Virginia Giant build for the floor pan. I'm so anxious to see yours done, can't wait.
    Thanks. Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedually4x4 View Post
    Really a cool looking build. Wish I had kept my Clodbuster.
    Never be without a Clod in the collection!

OK...it was a lot of work, but painting up a new body has paid off. The new shade of yellow is spot on, and I was able to do a few small things a little better.

Original vs. new:

Now, I need to sticker up the new body, cut the hole in the hood for the carbs, and do some panel line details to call it done.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

BAM! Much better. I could tell it was a little off, but couldn't tell how much until now. That came out perfect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123