sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Diggin Grave Digger

Default Diggin Grave Digger

I had to do it. It's all yall's fault. Kept posting these bad ass monster trucks...Dagabba, Crawler Addict...looking at you...

Kept looking and never found one worth buying. Then a buddy introduced me to the ease of Facebook Marketplace. Too easy. I've bought 4 vehicles in 2 months!

This was in OK shape, had metal transmission gears, but the key was it had the JConcepts wheels and tires. The stock BKT tires are way too small. It came with the Orange Ford body as well as the Digger body. The previous to this owner had painted brown paint to fake mud the body and did a terrible job, so this guy thought the body was toast. Some elbow grease and chemicals I got all of it off, so the body was good to go back on the truck and we could ditch Ol' Orange.

Some Locked Up RC hardware, little Molotol chrome, and the JConcepts fake bead rings and covers and the wheels are ready to rock.

I hacked up a wraith I owned and didn't like to add 4ws. Then, I can't say enough nice things about these: I added 2 Reefs 299 servos. Wow! Super fast, silent, wonderfully slim so they are less visible sitting on the axles, and they can swing these beast size tires with ease. Then I added a HeyOK servo controller. I can use the 3rd channel on my Spektrum to go from Locked Rear, 4 Wheel Steer, then Crab. Then back to locked. It's awesome. In 4ws it's great but the 3s Mamba Max is fast enough that 4ws can be a lot. So if you're going for the checkered flag, you can lock the rear. If you're doing cyclones like you're at the county fair, 4ws is a blast. Crab is cool but don't get you far.

Added the newer Tamiya driver. Saw it a while back and purchased...seemed to work well here.

It was missing the side exhaust pipes, so I got the Max D set that also had the motor, so a little paint and added that out back.

The headlight decals were embarrassing. I was thinking of what to do when I happened to hold up an Axial light bucket to the body. Guess someone at Axial knew what they were doing and the lights are the same size! Painted the lens with red clear, carefully dremel'd out the hole, and the light popped into place. Wired to a switch and a 9 volt, easy peasy.

And I had to add the flag. Easily found online, and Yeah Racing makes a flag holder!

The King shocks were on the Wraith. I bought stiffer rears but they're just too short so you get the bulged spring. I saw they make a larger set for the Yeti XL. As much as I'd love to, $200 to resolve the slight spring bulge...I can't do it.

I grew up in Texas and went to several monster truck shows. Always was a Digger fan. Had a Losi Jr T back in the 90's and added the old Parma Digger body. Loved it. When I saw these SMT10's yall were posting, I knew I wanted one. But the prices seemed way too high. This one was used enough to be fair, and had the potential to be what I wanted. It's just a fun around the yard truck, but I just had to have more Digger in my life. Haha

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoy.

Cory

A weird one I'm all about lately:

I hate body clips. I cut the post and drill it for a 3mm bolt. Traxxas makes these large flat head 3mm allens. I found them as they are what secures the UDR body in place.

I usually take a couple tools out with me, so the extra minute it takes to unscrew the 4 screws is worth it to me to not see body clips. And they can't pop off in a roll.

Maybe a little ocd but I like the bolts a ton better.

Traxxas 3931

I wish I had a solid axle monster truck. I'd eventually like to get or build one. Hopefully Axial tries it again soon.
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Yesssssss!!!!!!!!!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    I wish I had a solid axle monster truck. I'd eventually like to get or build one. Hopefully Axial tries it again soon.
    I believe someone who likes the colour orange has just released a vid hinting at that...

Love it. The SMT10 is a cool platform. I will probably get one of the new ones...assuming the teases are correct. Looks like a local group might finally be getting together to run solid axle trucks, so I may have to get involved with that.

Do you have more plans for this one, or are you just going to enjoy it as is?
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

I'm hoping the new one isn't some huge leap forward because then I'll want one of those too! Son of a Digger....haha

Not sure, Jeff. I say I'm done but always down to mess with it some more. Especially in the cold weather, I find I enjoy tinkering more than actually driving these most of the time. And as I wait for parts for other builds, I'm tempted to keep messing with this Digger.

It has stock lower arms as I drilled new mounting holes for the shocks, and I also prefer them black as to be less noticeable, but I'm sure I'll find some cool arms online one night surfing around and I'll buy them. Which will give me reason to add some more stuff...

I did find longer blue springs for the rear and ordered those last night. So maybe a remedy for the bulge.

But MrMod19RC you wanna make some cool shit you know I'm down!!

There are some cool short wheelbase kits out there with better arms that bring it more into the "scale" range for the body. RH Designs comes to mind as one of them.

Not sure I will be doing any SMT stuff, if you search it on Shapeways there are lots of parts out there already.

Also, if you haven't checked them out, look for Trigger King on YT. They race 3 classes of solid axle MTs and put out some cool racing vids. The SMT10 is a great Sport Mod platform.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store

Roger all that. Thanks Jeff!

Sad the rerelease isn't an updated truck, but I look forward to a new round of aftermarket parts to come.

It's a tough spot for them. Designing and tooling up new stuff costs $. Making it bomb proof costs $. I'm excited about the RBK for $200 and will be ordering one. With the metal gears included, I don't think it will take much to make it a fun truck to play around with. I'm aiming towards a sport mod class racer.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store