sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ferrari 512 S Analog

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    More please!! Love Le Mans cars, keep them coming! Someone needs to do a 917...

I toyed with doing a 917 but I've always loved this particular car. In the movie LeMans w Steve McQueen, the long tail version of this car was the antagonist.

Great movie. I'm a bit of a Porsche fan... I've got a blueprint of the tube chassis somewhere, will look it out...

So the build continues, albeit slower than I'd like. The Pandemic has me home and getting ready to teach online in lieu of face to face classes, but I'm trying to squeeze in some time to get to the point of finishing building various pieces so I can primer it and fill joints of which there are many. I worked on the rear end as it is not completely flat and the air vents have some indentation on the real car. I put a lip around the rear plate but will not do the indents. The lip greatly improved the look of the rear plate. I also mocked up tail lights using reflective sign vinyl for the lenses as that is all I have.

IMG_3208.JPG

The real deal.
    Ferrari 512s Rear view.jpg

I also began making the doors on this and adjusting the side panels. There is a bit of adjustment to take place and I might have to make this one over (I hope not). I also made a new windshield hoop, moved it back a bit and then wrapped the hoop with a styrene band which stiffens the aluminum. It's not permanently installed yet as the doors have to be more finished to move forward w that.

The door in rough form.
    IMG_3206.jpg

The side profile is starting to look more like I intended. Still a long way to go.
    IMG_3205.JPG

So cool watching you bring the real car to life in 1/10 - 1/8 scale!!!! Awesome workmanship!

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    So cool watching you bring the real car to life in 1/10 - 1/8 scale!!!! Awesome workmanship!
    Thank you. It's sort of 1/9th + scale because it's just shy of 1/8 and bigger than 1/10 The wheelbase is 280 mm/11" and the track is about 9" in the rear and slightly smaller 8 3/4" in the front. Think Kyosho Superten/HPI Super RS4 size.

very nice build.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wesmade View Post
    very nice build.

Wes
    Thanks very much. Means a lot coming from someone with your skills.

Some more rough fitting and mocking up. I made the right side door, and remade the hoop over the roll bar. I also made a makeshift windshield to get a better sense of the overall shape. In addition, I worked on the rear spoiler to even things out. That's been a great challenge with this build. It is more sculpting and eyeballing than recreating an exact replica. It's form and function wrapped in an adaptation to fit a pre-existing chassis and it has turned out to be far more difficult than any build I've done previous.

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3213.JPG

I'm loving how this is coming together, that looks great!!!

If they'll fit the size you need, I've had good luck with the led holder light bezels this guy sells
    https://www.truescale-rc.com/collect...lding-supplies

Or the clear part of some glue on white backed 'wiggly eyes' from the craft store, with some translucent paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzen View Post
    I'm loving how this is coming together, that looks great!!!

If they'll fit the size you need, I've had good luck with the led holder light bezels this guy sells
    https://www.truescale-rc.com/collect...lding-supplies

Or the clear part of some glue on white backed 'wiggly eyes' from the craft store, with some translucent paint.
    Thanks very much. I found some pills in clear buttons with foil backing and they are expired so I might run with those as they are pretty close in size. I'll have to find some translucent paint. My local hobby shop closed last summer and I'll have to look online.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123