sbg  

RC4WD
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 512 S Analog

Quote Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
    Out Frickin' Standing work.
    Looks Great. Love to see vid of it running when you have it done.
    Thanks very much. I still have a long way to go before paint. I hope to have it all primered by sometime next month. Awaiting a few small details to put in the engine bay and have to remove all the body parts and paint the structure that the body parts attach to. Lots of things to smooth out on the body pieces as well, but Lord willing, I hope to finish that part of it by Christmas. I started piecing together the driver yesterday - basically arms and shoulders and a head. I have to make my own because I'm about 1/9 scale more or less.

Tail lights are a bit of a challenge for this. I have nothing ready made and my access to a hobby shop is limited as the local one closed and the nearest on the list is 75 miles away, the next one 96 mlles away and no time for a road trip. I found some expired over the counter tablets at home that had a pill bubble just the right size. So I tried to think of ways to tint them. I tried coloring them in with markers and filling with a clear glue. The red was okay but the orange was not dark enough. So I decided to see if I could color the clear glue with food coloring. It is Duco cement and it took the color but clotted up a bit. Final trial was using clear 5 minute epoxy. It took the color and stayed the same consistency so the next challenge was to get it in the pill bubble. We had some empty syringes from dog medication and I loaded one up with the orange and one up with the red. Filled the bubbles with no trouble and let them harden. The trim bezels were the next challenge. I went with a technique I used previously. Hammered some solder wire flat and straightened it. Then cut to the proper length and wrapped it around a tube of the same size and made sure it was as round as possible. Before shaping it I sanded it with very fine sandpaper to shine it up and get rid of any hammer marks. What you see is what I got. They let light through pretty well. The red lenses are perhaps too dark so I'll have to search for similar size pill bubbles and make another pair, but it will be easier this next time.

512 tail lights 1.jpeg

512 tail lights 2.jpeg

So clever! Great lateral thinking!

Never cease's to amaze me how cleaver you are with these builds!!! So cool!!! Great use of "use what ya got"!!!

Awesome ingenuity mate, love it! How's that old saying go.... "Necessity is the mother of invention".......
    I have been really enjoying following your progress on this build and look forward to seeing more.

My favorite build so far. Stunning and beautiful as well.

Thanks! I need the encouragement! This thing still needs lots of work. Mocked up a rear view mirror and the intake stacks and coolant overflow tank (at least that's what I think it is), and started mocking up the driver. Because of the battery placement my driver has to be on the left side which is a compromise since the other bodies I've built are left hand drive too.

IMG_3439.JPG

The real deal
    Ferrari 512 S Rear Window.jpg

Not sure as to why the intake trumpets are clear on some cars of this period. I remember seeing for the first time watching the movie, Lemans w Steve McQueen. I don't think it is to see out the back because there is so little visibility to begin with. I am guessing it is actually a safety thing as in if there is a fire in the engine compartment they will see that more easily. Anybody have any ideas?

Driver and mirror - a work in progress.
    IMG_3441.JPG

Primered more parts and made a cover for over the front suspension out of a plastic eye glasses case. I'll probably make another one now that I see some adjustments to make with it. I'm working on making the exhaust pipes and the transmission back plate but I have more to think through on that.

IMG_3452.JPG

IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3455.JPG

The back end of this car presents some challenges since it is open and my particular chassis doesn't afford much room back there either. On the real car the exhaust pipes drape neatly over the rear suspension on either side of the transmission and the pipes closest to the transmission actually end so as to almost not be seen at all. The only pipes visible are the headers from the back half of the engine and they end just even with the body work. That was not going to be easy to do and I decided I liked having 2 and 2 coming out each side so I deviated. Because of the cramped space making tubed pipes turned out too difficult because I have to make a right angle bend in a small space so the tubes either split or crimped - that despite using annealed brass with sand inside so I went with automotive vacuum hose with a piece of aluminum wire inside. The aluminum wire is for wire ties on chain link fencing and runs about $5.50 a pack. Plenty left over, but way cheaper than trying to buy that wire from an industrial supply place which only sells it in big spools.

IMG_3462.JPG

The transmission cap was made from varied thickness styrene and is a grand approximation. The pipes were painted and fixed to a piece of square tubing and were attached to an L shaped piece of clear plastic along with the transmission end cap so it looks like it's floating similar to the real car.

Ferrari 512s Rear view.jpg

My render is not so elegant as the real thing - but hey it is what it is. Fun and not too complicated.

IMG_3459.JPG

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3461.JPG

nice! clever idea

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast