sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ferrari 512 S Analog

Glad to see more work on this masterpiece!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

The Barbie Vette is on hold for a bit. I decided to push to finish this one instead.

I'm exercising a fair amount of freedom with this build because I don't have all the skills necessary to fabricate an exact scale replica, and this particular Ferrari had a number of variations just with the S version (short tail) alone not to mention the Coda Lunga (long tail) version. In addition to that my chassis is not purpose built for this car, but rather is used for several different styles of body shells so accommodations have to be made. I've been off of this for a few months as I started chasing another build and got side tracked and then my school year started and time to work on this is more limited so I decided to push to finish this one and leave the other which is much earlier on in the process.

I wanted to cover the suspension that shows under the front clamshell and took a plastic eyeglass case and formed a cover. I had done a smaller one but was not happy with it so I went to work on a better version. I also made holes in the clamshell for the fuel caps which will be painted silver. Those are screw caps from the hardware store. Then I went to work on fender mounted rear view mirrors which appear on some versions of the 512S as well as the mirror at the top of the wind screen. The one on top is made from some flattened aluminum tubing and a marker cap. The fender mounted mirrors are made from flattened tubing,a 2 nub Lego and a USB cable cap. There is also a 3 mm threaded rod going from the fender up into the mirror housing. I also made new aluminum pieces for the tub sides because the previous ones were not exactly fitting right. I am nearing the end of fabricating body hardware and will work on a limited interior, the driver, and then hopefully finish work to get the body ready for painting.

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3679 (1).jpg

IMG_3680 (1).jpg

IMG_3681.JPG

IMG_3682 (1).jpg

Fantastic work, looks absolute great.

That's some very nice freedom exercising right there! As always I like the way you repurpose stuff!

I went to work on making a driver for this. The challenges in this is that I'm in between scales. It's not fully 1/8 and not 1/10 - more like 1/9 so its' "Good luck finding stuff in that scale." When I was doing my Jag project I came a cross these Nascar mini helmets called Bobble Dobble and they were a really good size. I found some on ebay and bought a lot sale of 3 helmets and a standup figure.

The starting point. A Bobble Dobble.

IMG_3709.JPG

I coupled that with some foam wrapped wire core curlers my daughter had from doing her hair for high school theatre productions. The hands were made from aluminum flashing so they could be molded to grip the steering wheel. Those were coated with sticky foam. Since the curlers are foam and would be painted, I used a latex primer on them and then acrylic craft paint. A chest had to be formed from the same aluminum sheet and foam tubing was used to create a neck for the driver. Then I coated the aluminum body with gaffers tape, a fabric tape that adheres well but can be removed and replaced without destroying the chest if I don't set it right. In addition, I needed seat belts so I used the plastic coated wire closer ties from bagged coffee. They form easily and take paint pretty well.

Below is the driver I made for my Jag and he's got more body to him since he sits higher over the electronics. I named him Guillermo Del Torso as a spoof on the filmaker's name (Guillermo Del Toro).

fullsizeoutput_3569.jpeg

So here is the blow by blow photos of his counterpart. The challenge being that there is really no room for a torso in the Ferrari build. I'm toying with the name Armand Shulterkopf (German: Shoulderhead) or Armando Spalla (Italian: shoulder)

The hands. Crude but gets the job done.

fullsizeoutput_355e.jpeg

The rough figure without the body.

fullsizeoutput_355f.jpeg

The assembly with the "seat" and more fully formed driver.

IMG_3708.jpg

Some paint.

IMG_3716.jpg

Installed and ready to race.

fullsizeoutput_3564.jpeg

The end result is very neat! And the helmet looks just the right size with everything else indeed. Nice job!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456