sbg  

AE Element 2
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Scratch Built Body Help Needed!

  1. #1

    Default Scratch Built Body Help Needed!

    So I purchased and built the TF2 SWB kit and am having buyers remorse because there are very few bodies available. Could go the Tamiya Wrangler (is it a YJ?) route, but not a huge Jerp fan, though if I had to choose one "style" it would be a CJ/YJ/TJ. Maybe a Pajero would be fun but a leafed Pajero doesn't seem scale accurate. How about a bobbed Marlin/Hilux you say? Sure, also thought about a flatbed behind the cab or truggy type build. But what don't we see too often? Suzuki Samurais!

    Ok, long intro out of the way, I think I'm set on a Samurai or a cheeky little Geo Tracker. I've found the blueprints and some reference images for inspiration, but what is the best way to scale the prints to the appropriate size to transfer onto the styrene?

    The SJ40 or similar model seems pretty straight forward as a first styrene build, and I'm excited to start, but would like to be able to size it without wasting a small forest worth of paper. I've tried searching the forums and interwebs for answers but didn't find much. All help is appreciated!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Smithfield, RI USA
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    A SAS'd Isuzu MU would be great. Also, JsScale makes a beautiful styrene 1/8th scale Suzuki Samurai in both hard top and soft top variants that would be great.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    A SAS'd Isuzu MU would be great. Also, JsScale makes a beautiful styrene 1/8th scale Suzuki Samurai in both hard top and soft top variants that would be great.
    Sorry, newbie question, what does SAS stand for? I've seen a Tamiya MU on youtube that was pretty slick but didn't speak to me.

    I like the JSScale bodies but I believe the wheelbase is off maybe...10mm? Is that an easy fix if I did go that route?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Smithfield, RI USA
    Posts
    2,024

    Default

    SAS is just short for "solid axle swap". If you go to google images and type in SAS or solid axle swap Amigo you'll see some examples of Amigo's with solid front axles. I think they are an attractive little 4x4. Lots of personality.

    The Suzuki Samurai is a great idea as well. Equally, or more, charismatic. As for the wheelbase adjustment... if you planned on running a 4-link in the Rear than it is just as easy as installing slightly longer links. If you wanted to keep it accurate and leafed on all four corners, than you usually can slide the leaf mount forward or back a hole (using the front hole as a back hole and drilling another hole).

    Numbers are just numbers, you really have to have the body and chassis assembled to see. Sometimes the numbers are correct but the body/chassis doesn't look right together, or the numbers are off but the wheelbase looks correct...
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Duff Gardens
    Posts
    6,290

    Default Scratch Built Body Help Needed!

    10mm difference wonít be hard to adjust. You could move the rear axle by drilling new holes in the chassis and moving the spring hanger and shackle.
    Last edited by pardonmyn00b; 11-13-2019 at 04:40 AM.
    [B]SBG Junior Vice President

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    SAS is just short for "solid axle swap". If you go to google images and type in SAS or solid axle swap Amigo you'll see some examples of Amigo's with solid front axles. I think they are an attractive little 4x4. Lots of personality.

    The Suzuki Samurai is a great idea as well. Equally, or more, charismatic. As for the wheelbase adjustment... if you planned on running a 4-link in the Rear than it is just as easy as installing slightly longer links. If you wanted to keep it accurate and leafed on all four corners, than you usually can slide the leaf mount forward or back a hole (using the front hole as a back hole and drilling another hole).

    Numbers are just numbers, you really have to have the body and chassis assembled to see. Sometimes the numbers are correct but the body/chassis doesn't look right together, or the numbers are off but the wheelbase looks correct...
    Oh, duh. I was racking my brain to figure out what that would be in 1:1 terms and that makes the most sense. Those are some cool builds, but still really feeling the Samurai for simplicity as a first go at this scratch building thing. Printed some drawings and doing more research. May upload a sketch once I nail a few designs down. Still having trouble getting the scale right, is there a good method to printing or scaling on like Adobe Acrobat that would work best?

    Would like to modify the chassis as little as possible being a first build and I'm a bit squeamish to start hacking away. That being said, it makes total sense that numbers are just numbers, I'm noticing more and more on other fellas builds how they adjust wheelbase.

    Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    10mm difference wonít be hard to adjust. You could move the rear axle by drilling new holes in the chassis and moving the spring hanger and shackle.
    Yeah, 10mm is what, 3/8 of an inch? Not a big deal. I actually found lots of inspiration in your "nice truck" Diahatsu/Toyoter build. As much as I love a Samurai, makes me think a comp ready parcel carrier would be fun! People in remote places need their parcels after all

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •