sbg  

GearHead

Thread: Lexus GS400

Default Lexus GS400

Hey all,

Here's a little project I am wrapping up. My shop built the real car a few years ago and it ended up on the cover of Super Street magazine...which was awesome.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...-demographics/

Jason owns the car, and for his birthday I decided it was time to try and do up the Lexus body he had given me years before. It's a Tamiya body, and uses Tamiya paints. Inside painted with a mix of TS38 Gun Metal and a weird Green Anodized Aluminum color I found. Then the body is flat cleared on the outside. Used a Pandora carbon lip kit to make all the carbon trim underneath, and some mirrors I had that matched the Ganador mirrors the car now wears. Used some RC4wd Baja Designs light pods to mimic the Infiniti projector headlights that have been swapped into the real car. They fit great but sadly I got a busted set and one only lights up half the leds. Oh well.

I did not attempt the over fenders we made for the real car. We want to be able to use this RC at shows and such and I was too concerned about them causing turning issues and getting busted off. So the decision was made to make it stockish body to not be overly complicated. I am going to start on a copy of the Silvia we built for Jason and that will probably not be run so I can go a little crazier. Also the giant rear diffuser shown in a few of the pictures is just for when it's parked. It slides on/off easily and is too big too actually drift around with on the car.

The Tamiya window stickers are starting to bug me already. I may cut the glass area out and tint from the inside.

It's on an MST FXX rwd chassis. I had to narrow the rear A arms to stand the wheels straight up in the rear of this narrow body. I went a little further so I can fit the 8mm offset wheels that arrive soon. I wanted to try and match some of the stagger the real car has. Hobbywing ESC and motor, savox servo, and a Sprektrum radio...swapped the Spektrum wheel with a matching bronze Volk.

Evans Designs LEDs all wired to a 9 volt. Uses their cool plugs so parts can be removed without dealing with all the wiring. And their on/off switch. Easy peasy.

Fun to build. Cool birthday gift. We all need mini versions of our real cars.

Thanks for watching, hope you enjoy.

Cory

Wow that's clean. Nice job.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Thanks, Tim!

That is so cool, looks just like a matte wrap job. Well done!

Thank you. I had seen an example in pictures and dug it, but in person it's even better. I'm going to do another body I have just to give it another shot. See what matte white looks like.

love that. well done, man

Got the 6mm offset rears on, and finally got the alignment all sorted. Ended up adjusting the rear wheelbase and toe setup but got all that wheel under the body with no rub. I think the extra effort to get the staggered wheel setup on was worth it.

Off to its new home.

Very nice! I really like how you fine tuned the wheels and fender fitment. Makes it that much more realistic.

Thank you very much.

Agreed the wheel fitment was key in attempting a realistic look. The Tamiya bodies can be somewhat narrow compared to the current breed of drift chassis, but the easy narrowing of the rear track made it work.