sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Weekender-Ford dentside crewcab, WORK TRUCK BUILD OFF.

Default The Weekender-Ford dentside crewcab, WORK TRUCK BUILD OFF.

As a young teen my dad had a crew cab dentside with a box on the back, on 37ís and he used it for his handyman truck. Weekends we would take it out to the dunes near glamis and dirt bike and annually we would chase the Baja 1000. That trucks long gone and existed before cameras were in phones but Iím going to recreate it to best of my memory plus a little extra that dad didnít have. think of this but more patina and less dumpster with a longer box. Seeing my styrene work is far below the challenge of making an accurate dentside, this is what Iíll be using
    But besides the cab I will be scratch building the rest of the bodyís components from styrene.
    I decided a day ago to do this while thinking about how nice a tow rig for the all aluminum 4400 class truck Iím starting would be and thought about dads old rig. So I dug into my box random and came out with this some og scx ssd Dana 60s with vanquish kit, hpi venture frame, and an old honcho trans.
    Low and behold I had an extra element skid to make this a real spare parts build and turns out this combo works out to a not to far from scale ford leaf lay out thats my start, Iíll be posting up later this week with some more leaf mounting but nothing major for atleast a week as i ordered a ton of stuff today for this that wonít be here till early next week. Good luck to everyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my, quite the truck! Can't wait to see where this goes.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

woohoo! dentsides!!!
    i'll be back to see how this goes!

Great inspiration! And I really love the dentsides. Cant wait to see this come together.
    If you build it, We will watch!

awesome story behind this ! cant wait to see how it turns out

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Oh my, quite the truck! Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Thanks! Considering the printed body I have a lot of stuff planned to make up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
    woohoo! dentsides!!!
    i'll be back to see how this goes!
    me too! Wish I had that truck today

Quote Originally Posted by devincarney08 View Post
    awesome story behind this ! cant wait to see how it turns out
    Thanks! I hit my dad up too see if he has pics so hopefully he finds some gold to work off of
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodtick72 View Post
    Great inspiration! And I really love the dentsides. Cant wait to see this come together.
    Me aswell, super anxious to get my cab

So got home from work and my leaf mounts had arrived so got started on getting those mounted now that leaf angle wonít work at all, some ugly drop brackets were out of the question cutting the frame became necessary now thatís much more gooder. In the following picture will see a piece of aluminum as a backer- this is temporary and necessary for welding when filling gaps in sheet metal an age old trick and pretty much only option I know of is to use copper or aluminum, brass can be used but not recommended because brass is copper and zinc and potential can release not so friendly fumes. With the backer in place you start your weld into the center of the gap and let the puddle flow into the edges of the steel. Filling the gap and not burning away the edges like if you were to attempt this with out the backer. this leaves a not very pretty but very functional backing that isnít a big messy glob of weld poop and not worth metal finishing this isnít the prettiest of welds but my gas bottle is empty and Iím far to lazy to go into town today to fill so flux does the job just fine and metal finished. and thatís the layout these will have. Nice and flat leaves. This is about 3Ē shorter then the wheelbase will be, so Iím not drilling the the rear mounts until the second frame Iím using to extend this one shows up next week. Thatís all for now. Hopefully I have all the basic suspension components and frame bits by next Tuesday or so

Well lucky me, my lady is a postal delivery woman and my packages intended for Monday some how appeared with a breakfast burrito this morning around 7.. strange. but Iíll show you what happened before this picture I forgot to take until I got my leaf mounts done. So with this revelation or burrito power and parts I decided to get the other frame rail done and drill the front shackle holes and set the rear crude but functional way to get the leaf mounts on. Just some holes drilled into 1/4 stock, cut into a trapezoid and then I cut a slit into the frame where they would sit to weld through frame into the mount. This was done to outboard the leafs like a Ford would be and just seemed easiest. now this all together yielded a wheel base around 285mm and we are after 385 round about. So I took this section out of the new rails impressed by my photo shop skills? Me too, totally makes up for my lack of remember to take photos. I just extended it as far as lined up holes would allow for ease of keeping things square by bolting together with tangs cut from new section good enough for jazz, setting the frame level on blocks yields equal measurements from side to side on frame horns which works for me. This got me to about 365mm, heres a Banana for reference still need to extend another 2cm this is the plan section 1 holes are 3.5cm apart, the holes Iíll cut between on the extension are 1.5cm so Iíll get my 2 there. Section 2 will be used as frame extension if necessary for bumper mounting. and hereís how I decided to mount leaves to axles I shaved all the link mounts off and Iím using gmade sawback mounting. the leaf plates have a center pin and you drill into the housing to locate, thatís all for today, kinda of Hesitant to weld in cross members, final extension or make servo mounts until I have the cab but we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice stat to this one.

Wes

Nice banana. I mean...truck.
    [B]SBG Junior Vice President

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast