sbg  

GCM Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scale Oregon Trail’R Terradrop Alpha Off-Road Teardropish Trailer

Well, had a bit of time and made a door kit today. Two actually.
    IMG_9656 (1).jpg

Bit of plywood, Acrylic, Polybak and a sticker all fit together like so. I love the close tolerances.
    IMG_9657 (1).jpg

It'll look something like this. But with hinges, which are lost in the mess of the bench.
    IMG_9658 (1).jpg

I also cut a chassis out of 6mm plywood and painted it black. I may still 3D print it or make it out of brass. This was quicker and easier though.
    IMG_9659 (1).jpg

Tried the front box. It'll look better when it's glued on.
    IMG_9660.jpg

Here's the bottom view. Needs a couple of more screws at the back.
    IMG_9661.jpg

Also put in a couple of pieces of veneer on the top shelf of the galley to cover up the joints.
    IMG_9662.jpg

Axles and leaf springs are up next.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Looking good! So what is the veneer made from? Is that really thin MDF?
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Thanks Noob. The veneer is is just a really thin piece of birch. About 1 mm thick. You can get veneers from most wood types.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

This is a really cool project. Great use of the laser to create something awesome.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Thanks Jeff. This is trailer prototype #2. Lots of little things that need to be fixed for Mk. III. Still definitely a work in progress but lots of fun.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

A bit of Tamiya Smoke PS-31 and I have tinted windows. Here they are mocked up.

IMG_9672.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

And now the wait is on. Need M1 X 8 bolts and nuts for the hinges. Hurry up mailman!
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

While waiting for the tiny door hardware I decided to recut the chassis.
    IMG_9702.jpg

Here's V2 but the holes for mounting the suspension are too big.
    IMG_9709.jpg

So, on to V3, smaller holes, still bigger than they need to be though but they'll do for now. Trimmed the chassis up a bit to match the shape of the suspension brackets.
    IMG_9708.jpg

I 3D printed the suspension. It's not going to last as all I had was PLA but I'll redo it using PTEG most likely. I modified the suspension that Ossum posted to Thingiverse for his M416 Trailer. Basically just made it wider.. We'll see how that goes.
    IMG_9711.jpg

IMG_9712.jpg

IMG_9713.jpg

IMG_9714.jpg

A view underneath.
    IMG_9715.jpg

Didn't have any threaded rod for the axle but a bamboo skewer will work for now.
    IMG_9716.jpg

The fender is also from Ossum's trailer. Need to redo the galley hatch as it's not quite square.
    IMG_9717.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Busy week so I didn't get too much done. I narrowed the fenders by 10mm and reprinted them. Prototyped a side using white mat board (it cuts so nicely on the laser) to get the bolt holes for the fender in the right place. Looks a little better with the narrower fenders I think. I'll recut the plywood sides with the bolt holes for the fenders and hinge screw holes in V3.

IMG_9734.jpg

IMG_9733.jpg

IMG_9732.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Still waiting on the 1mm hardware for the hinges. Got the nuts but no bolts. I printed some new fenders that are more in the style of the TerraDrop Alpha. Here they are right out of the 3D printer. A bit of cleanup and some sanding and paint and I think I've got it. Spent some more time redesigning a few little bits for V3. Hope to cut it this week. It will also have pre-cut holes for the fenders.

IMG_9775.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast