sbg  

AE Element

Thread: Overland Trailer

Default Overland Trailer

There's an annual event that I've attended the last couple years and wanted to donate something to the prize table this year. I decided to tackle modelling an overland trailer modelled loosly off a Nuthouse Industries Hickory trailer at a scale of 1:9.

Modelling was performed via Fusion 360 and all parts print within a 200 by 250mm bed area and was printed on my Prusa MK3. Material of choice was petg for all structural components and pla for the smaller cosmetic components such as door handles and vents.

The trailer components are fastened via M3 hardware with M2 hardware used for the hinge pivots and the axle used was a free wheeling semi axle with 1.55 wheels.

Post finishing was the typical high build primer, sand and repeat. Pretty happy with how it turned out though. Got to try a couple new assembly techniques such as snap together components (the vents were this way for example) Below is a quick build sequence. Will post up some pics in the wild after the event this weekend. Nice thing is that I decided to keep the prototype and then simply print a second trailer for the give away, cheers!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

That is one heck of a cool trailer! Is the advantage to PETG the structural rigidity?

Am I to presume that the event is at Berkeley?
    Last edited by imthatguy; 09-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Thanks for the kind words! It was a lot of fun to design and build, just an enjoyable build all around. Yes Berkeley is the place to be this weekend and am really looking forward to it, such a fun time! Hopefully I will get a few decent pics this weekend of the trailer, lot's of great photogenic spots there

I like PETG in that it is a bit more tolerant to heat, is odorless, doesn't have a tendency to warp when printing and is is a bit more flexible than PLA. I've had good luck with it overall for structural parts. A good example in this model would be the fenders where they may get a bit of a knock and a bit of suppleness is a good thing. For me I find PETG doesn't print quite as clean as PLA so for the finer details on the trailer I used PLA.

I went to the Berkeley Scale Adventure event this past weekend hosted by the Lloyd family. It's truely a magical place for a scale adventure and the trailer was donated to the prize table.

In the morning I was able to snap a couple pics in the wild and it was on display in the show and shine. I was quite humbled that it won the best scale accessory award, I feel very honoured to have taken home that, thanks for the votes all!

The winner of the trailer was Dana Clarke of GCM fame which I thought was pretty darned great! I've always loved checking his builds out and am really looking forward to see how he carries on making this build his own!

On a side note the trophies that Chad Donovan of True North RC created are stunning and Dana Lloyd did one heck of a job finishing the accompanying canoe, thank you both! Guess you can say I dealt the trailer in on a boat last weekend

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

I also got to talk to imthatguy for a bit on the weekend and got to see the Loco Hawk in action and check out the Comanchee build, very cool!

Matt - the high build primer I used on this is made by Dominion Sure Seal Ltd. and is called Flex Fill Multi-Purpose Filler for plastic bumpers, fiberglass and metal. I found it in the automotive section at my local Canadian Tire. I tried it on a test piece first and it seemed to bond nicely on this model and was easy to work, very easy to sand down. Check the ingredients though as there is a pile of chemicals in this stuff to make sure it meets your requirements, definitely don't want to be spraying this stuff indoors. I would definitely try it on a test piece first.