sbg  

RPP Associated

Thread: First hard body (Cherokee) have a few questions.

Default First hard body (Cherokee) have a few questions.

Hi guys, I just picked up a Cherokee hard body and had a few questions for the experts here. The main body came in two parts with a bag of screws. Should I also put some superglue in the joint before bolting the two main pieces together? Also, I bought a tube of Tamiya putty, will this be good to fill the seam? I was going to use Tamiya paints, starting with the gray surface primer, and Testors clear parts cement for the windows when I get to that point. Iíll sand everything with 600 grit first. Any other tips or things I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!

Use the screws to attach the two halves but donít use CA. Use a solvent for styrene to ďweldĒ the plastic together. A good bond will make the screws almost unnecessary. Tamiya putty should be fine.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Thanks for the reply! So something like Plastic Weld or Bondene? Will this give me enough working time time get the pieces aligned and screwed together? The two halves don’t match up exactly on the sides and one half will need to be pushed in so the holes line up. I suppose I could get all the screws started and then brush it in the gap between the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by PendulumRC View Post
    Thanks for the reply! So something like Plastic Weld or Bondene? Will this give me enough working time time get the pieces aligned and screwed together? The two halves donít match up exactly on the sides and one half will need to be pushed in so the holes line up. I suppose I could get all the screws started and then brush it in the gap between the pieces.
    Yes, plastic weld or bondene is perfect. Iíd recommend screwing it together first then let the solvent weep in and tighten the screws as you mentioned. No matter what they wonít line up perfectly and youíll have to fine tune with sanding.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Thanks, will swing by the hobby shop and pick some up.