sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2WD HiLux Step-side Dually - aka. Cilla G.

My pleasure ShopGTR, and thank you for your kind words!

Here are a few more hints and tips you might find useful - although I appreciate that most of these will have already been catalogued somewhere on SBG of course.

So now that the main [spray] painting is finished, it's time to add a few more details using a brush and acrylic paints, plus a new technique I've wanted to try for the seats and door lining panels...

Front and rear windows

photo. masking the window rubbers before painting with Tamiya XF-85 'Rubber Black'.

Using a strip of masking tape around the screen (and rear window) rubbers and scoring them with your thumb nail before cutting them with an X-acto knife, leaves a nice clean line between the body panels and the rubber:

Side windows

photo. the side window rubbers (and in this case channels for the slide-down side windows) are also painted in XF-85 Rubber black, using a fine-tipped brush. note. gap between door and frame darkened with watered-down flat black paint (Tamiya XF-1).

photo. while I've chosen to cover the quarter-light upright in self-adhesive aluminium foil, which when sanded back with 800 grit wet&dry leaves an authentic worn 'chrome' finish.

cont.

cont.

The interior is still a work in progress, but as a sneak-peek as to what you can expect:

photo. The RC4WD full interior set includes three pedals, two gear levers (I shortened the transfer lever to make it more contemporary), window winders, arm-rests and even a pair of column stalks!

photo. a technique I've seen, and have wanted to try myself for a while now is flocking the seats (and also the door side panels) to give a real retro 3D feel to those surfaces - and this 1980's Toyota work truck would seem to be the perfect platform...I have to say, it's really authentic!

And finally for now, I fear I have outdone myself in the nerd stakes...

photo. fuel filler cap on neck... actually screws on and off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nBcRKezB74

More soon!

really impressive job and skills

It's been a pretty manic 24 hours - this thing has taken over my life, but I'm getting close to finishing now all the elements are coming together at last...

Inside job

photo. marking and drilling for the pedals in the driver's footwell.

photo. gear levers and flocked bench seat - note the saggy section where the driver has been sitting over all these years!

photo. checker-plate floor mats (cut slightly small so you can see the rust in the footwell boxes).

photo. Dashboard fully assembled - those are Wild Willy 2 dash instrument decals in the centre console - perfect fit! (note simulated wear to the glovebox lid, again, this is a 39 year old vehicle!)

photo. door-trims include contrasting grab handles to the flock panels, metal door latches, and window winders and front speakers.

photo. the interior finally being assembled...

photo. finished!

As I was putting this interior kit together, all I could think about was the original Tamiya tag-line "Scale model, suitable for radio control" - and I have to say, while this interior set is another $37.99 on top of the Mojave body set, it really is a scale model in it's own right - in fact it's almost a shame to put it inside the vehicle rather than display it on it's own! Fortunately, I've got working windows on this build so you can peek inside.

cont.

cont.

Engine detailing

photo. splitting the motor cover to paint the HT leads and plug caps, plus blow over the intake and exhaust manifolds in flat 'alumnium' silver.

photo. reassembled - the temptation is to weather this (and I might well add some black-wash and oil stains), but at the same time, the back-story is this old HiLux has had a more recent V8 Tundra engine transplant, so it's fitting that the engine itself is in better condition.

photo. reinstalled in the engine bay - the V8 cover simply clips onto the motor... and yes, I've even smeared real grease on those battery terminals!

So with the grille panel finally glued to the main body shell (tacked with super-glue, then beefed up with Araldite as the original screw holes are now missing due to reshaping of the front wings), it was time to finally fit the body around the engine bay:

photo. I've also elected to paint the front grille plain black as the chipped chrome wasn't really working the way I would like.

photo. bonnet held on with four magnets (one in each corner under the return lip along each wing).

And finally for now, I just had to try on the rear body-tub too of course:

More soon!

Windows...

Following on from my previous post detailing the side window channels/runners and using the lexan RC4WD windscreen, I decided that while the moulded screen section fits the cab well enough, the 'glass' isn't as clear as I'd like, so elected to cut individual window panels from a sheet of 0.5mm lexan instead:

photo. passenger window slides approximately half way down (due to only having a short length of C channel left over).

photo. driver's window drops almost all the way (but not so far so I can't pull it up again from outside).

photo. rear window features a [missing] slide section, while the windscreen itself needed to be heated and bent to fit the compound curve of the screen surround - fortunately the HiLux has a pretty flat screen other than the bottom corners. Again, screen was initially tacked in place with superglue, then the joints beefed-up with Araldite.

The other thing that arrived in the post recently was these proper 'working' metal windscreen wipers - which are the correct size for the deep HiLux screen (compared to the short plastic 'Jeep' ones I'd bought previously) - the wiper arms even have tiny metal springs inside to help snap them against the screen!

Once the screen glue has cured, final assembly can begin... all that is really left now is the tailgate detailing, and to work out the final design/location of the rear lights...

More soon!

More details:

Screen glued in place, wipers fitted:

photo. note I've purposely chosen to leave the screen 'clean' for now, rather than weather with wiper marks and mist (although that might happen eventually) as I want the interior to be visible as much as possible.

Interior assembled, and random accessories [double sided] taped in place:

...and fitted to cab:

photo. those M&Ms are going to melt up there!

Tow-bar drop hitch:

photo. will be painted and rusted of course.

Scratch built tailgate draw-bolts/latches:

It's coming together at last:

photo. ProLine accessory tool chest (originally silver) painted black... not sure this will be part of the final build, but it is one option.

More soon...

I made some coolant and washer bottle tanks from an old X-acto knife blade box - cut a piece of clear lexan and super-glued it in to make the 'top' of the liquid, and painted the lower part with clear green and blue Tamiya paints:

Rather than back them with silver [self-adhesive aluminium foil] as shown above, I've ultimately mounted them on plain white paper which is slightly less reflective/bright, and used double sided tape to mount them to the inner wings.

The ESC, and the lettering for the door decals have arrived in the post today too, so stand by for another update soon...

Brilliant build! Loving the packet of Luckies lying in the centre console. Classic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicely done those reservoirs
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast