sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Truck Build Off: 1963 Studebaker Westinghouse

Default Work Truck Build Off: 1963 Studebaker Westinghouse

Ok, I think this is perfect for this build... it's a work truck that never got a chance to do work. Before Studebaker went to that great used car lot in the sky, they were working on a line of delivery/service trucks with the Westinghouse company. Only one pickup and one van were ever built. The van is lost to time, and I can't even find any photos of it. The pickup is in the Studebaker museum in Indiana.

studebaker-prototype-truck-04.jpg

1963-studebaker-westinghouse-pickup-truck-concept-2.jpg.jpg

1963-studebaker-westinghouse-pickup-truck-concept-3.jpg.jpg

But what if Stude had made it? Might we see these weird flat-nose, cab-waaaay-forward trucks around today, still being used? I think we might...

(Full disclosure: I tried to build one of these many years ago and never really got anywhere. I still have the body I started, but I won't be using any of it; the proportions are wrong. I'll be starting from scratch.)

It’s like driving a VW bus. Such a weird feeling to swing out in front of the wheels. Very unique build!

Wes

This looks intriguing!!

Nice box!
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

It occurs to me that I put this in the wrong section... it's not going to be very off-roady. Can someone move it to on-road for me?

Moved :)
    SBG Junior Vice President in Charge of Jerps

Hard to believe this was made by the same folks who gave us the hawk coupe and the Avanti!

Quote Originally Posted by JunkGTZ View Post
    Hard to believe this was made by the same folks who gave us the hawk coupe and the Avanti!
    Even crazier - this uses an Avanti engine and drivetrain, because it's what they had on hand.

Looking forward to seeing this shape up.
    If you build it, We will watch!

So I finally had a chance to dig into this idea a little bit. I've decided on a chassis: it will be built on a half-dead Tamiya CC01, with no front driveline. Most of the chassis tub will get hacked away, but it's had a good life, so I'm not worried about it.

Dug out my old drawings from last time, and traced them, while fixing the proportions...
    20191002_162745.jpg

20191002_162754.jpg

...And then made some sketches for concept.

20191002_162730.jpg

The basic plan is to have it be what it was meant to be: an appliance delivery truck. It'll have a refrigerator and a hand truck in the back, and the name of some discount appliance store on the door. I'll work up some kind of loading ramp in the tailgate as well. Instead of going for old and rusty, I'm going for clean and new, like it might have looked in 1965 or so, dropping off a new fridge to some suburban house.

Which means, I also have to research styles and colors of Westinghouse refrigerators from the mid-60s...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast