sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ebaYJeep - aka. Daydream B'leafer

Thank you both!

Yes, I particularly like this Tamiya YJ body (so much so that I've bought another, this time for a coil-sprung/4-link project), and generally much prefer the versatility and results you can get with modifying hardbodies.

This a good opportunity to introduce a couple of further mods I've made recently to the build:

I decided to ultimately replace the original twin oval rear lights with single vertical versions instead (and had to cut new checker-plate covers too of course) - primarily because I'd noticed that my modified loom meant that two of the LEDs were rather dull compared to the others - as if the brake lights were only working on one side if you like, which while 'authentic' perhaps, I wanted to try and resolve.

I also decided to replace the spare wheel hanging out of the tailgate with a pair of sand ladders and a ground anchor (originally accessories on another build which I've since modified - see the BIG BJ in the builds section), as this is primarily my trail truck, so felt it was best it was fully prepared. There is a two rope/tree strap too which I'll have to zip-tie somewhere.

The spare wheel can still be mounted in the load-bed too, and I'll most likely rig up some sort of 45° mounting bracket for this, as I kind of like the look?

Nice Jeep!

As a fellow Brummie I approve of your Ozzy usage, one suggestion though- maybe don't have him fully attached so when you crash he can fly out the front and hit his head on a tree? Like the 1:1 Ozzy...

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Nice Jeep!

As a fellow Brummie I approve of your Ozzy usage, one suggestion though- maybe don't have him fully attached so when you crash he can fly out the front and hit his head on a tree? Like the 1:1 Ozzy...
    Hee hee - funny you mention that, I also have another version of that figure with his leg in a plaster-cast! I understand it is more rare than the regular version so I'm loath to modify it as a seated driver in the same way - although I originally bought it because I was considering a 3/4 height driver (to fit in my VS4-10 project) and therefore he wouldn't need both feet anyway of course.

Inspired by a new Jeep project I'm working on, I thought I'd also experiment and make a quick update to this YJ build... now that summer is here, I reckon it's time to take the doors off Ozzy!

photo. a tale of two Jeeps...

photo. Oh no, what have you done?

By carefully cutting along the door seams with a fine Dremel wheel (and scoring the radius corners at the bottom with a sharp knife), I was able to snap out the doors leaving a pretty clean edge. I'd actually always had this option in mind when I first built the body, so had made the sills double thickness both for strength and potentially as a more realistic detail should the doors ever be removed (while the doors themselves are double thickness too, having sliding windows inside)...

photo. a quick clean up of the edges with a sanding drum on the Dremel, and the trail-beater style of this truck means it's not really essential to touch in the paint either.

photo. I was temped to leave the passenger door attached, and just put the discarded door in the load-bed like a real junker!

photo. ...but ultimately decided to remove both doors - which having done neatly, I can always reattach with scale working hinges, and have the pins free so that they can be taken on and off just like the 1:1 doors!

Hope you like the latest mods!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12