sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st Gen Mazda RX-7 Drift Build 1/24 Scale

Quote Originally Posted by markbt73 View Post
    Out of curiosity: with these, is it possible to use the model kit's wheels/tires? Or use the kit's wheel faces as "hubcaps?"
    It's certainly possible. There are a number of different ways the stock model kit wheels could be made to fit with a little custom work and creativity.

Update #3

Alright, so after a few weeks away from the bench I was finally able to get this thing finished up!

Here I've got the fender flares mocked up and I used a rotary tool to widen the wheel arches significantly. This is especially important in the front since the front wheels are spaced far out and need plenty of room to turn left and right.

The fender flares are a good fit and can be mounted to the body with virtually no gaps.

A look under the hood with the brake master cylinder assembly in place. I also was planning on installing the radiator, however at the end decided not to due to limited space and a lack of a good place to mount it up front.

Magnets will hold the shallow tub interior to the chassis as shown before. The body will be secured to the interior with Velcro on each side as shown. It's a little bit of a pain to attach and detach, but the body will almost never need to be separated from the interior, so no big deal. Although glue might also be an option to secure the interior to the body, I like to have the ability to separate the two parts which Velcro allows.

I completed the interior by chopping the roll bar included with the kit until it fit. I cut two Make It RC 1/24 scale racing seats to fit as well.

I printed out an LS engine topper to go under the hood. If I hacked up the stock rotary motor to fit, their wouldn't be much left of it. I also thought about putting in an old small block V8 with a carb I have just to be a little less cliche, but again I'd either have to hack it to bits to get it low enough to fit, or cut/modify the hood to fit the air cleaner. LS swap just makes sense, even in the scale world :P

Next I laid down some paint. Nothing special, Everything except the body was either semi-gloss, satin, or matte black.

This is what I used for the body. Love this color on this body! Paint laid down great, a little thick and a few imperfections but nice overall.

Interior in and body kit installed along with the rear spoiler.

Say what you will about an LS swap but the topper fits like a glove right there in the center.

Windows before and after tinting. I used a thin sheet of clear plastic to make the side windows which I cut to the correct shape. I used Tamiya smoke for tint. It turned out okay but very foggy and uneven. I need more experience doing this. Later I went back to the rear window and side windows and gave them a heavier tint. Although it makes the interior less visible, it makes the tint look more even.

This is before applying more coats of tint to the rear windows. It's very faint in this image but I painted some details on the rear hatch glass. I also painted some details on the body. These details didn't turn out as good as I usually do but overall it looks good.

Also detailed the engine bay a little.

The print lines are strong with this one, but all in all a nice addition under the hood. Looking back, some heavy coats of primer would probably have been a good idea.

Tail lights look great! Used an airbrush, good masking tape, and a little patience. All paint was applied to the back of each light. I sprayed some smoke, then the white, transparent yellow, and transparent red. I backed it all with silver, and used a black marker for the outer edge.

Engine topper mounted to the chassis. I cut a piece of styrene and glued it below for support. There is just enough clearance for the steering components.

Hard to get a good picture in this light. As I said before, for now at least I'm not going to install the radiator. It's just too tight of a fit with the ESC and no good place to mount it too.

Final two parts to put the icing on the cake were a tail pipe and brake rotors. each was painted and glued into place.

At this point I'm ready to call the car finished (though I'm always messing around with things even long after a build is over). I'm very pleased with the finished result. Although I feel I could have done a better job with a few things here and there, It's all for fun and I certainly enjoyed putting this car together.

Haven't had a chance to drive it too much but I'm looking forward to seeing how well I can get this thing to skid. I'll have a nice full build video put together eventually which I'll be sure to post in this thread when complete. Thanks for checking out this build and feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Looks great. Sometimes a few imperfections are nothing to worry about since you are building this to run and not sit on a shelf. It still pops visually and when takes off it will cause lots of grins!

Love it! Best of both worlds, model building and an RC build, so cool! Looking forward to the video!!!

Nice result! I've really been enjoying your 1/24 projects.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Quote Originally Posted by JunkGTZ View Post
    Looks great. Sometimes a few imperfections are nothing to worry about since you are building this to run and not sit on a shelf. It still pops visually and when takes off it will cause lots of grins!
    Thank you. Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    Love it! Best of both worlds, model building and an RC build, so cool! Looking forward to the video!!!
    Thank you. Yeah the variety and realism of scale models combined with RC is a very neat combination. They are always a ton of fun to build.

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    Nice result! I've really been enjoying your 1/24 projects.
    Thank you!

The full build video is still in the works though I shared a little teaser video on social media and thought I'd link it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Make It RC View Post
    Thank you. Very true.

Thank you. Yeah the variety and realism of scale models combined with RC is a very neat combination. They are always a ton of fun to build.

Thank you!

The full build video is still in the works though I shared a little teaser video on social media and thought I'd link it here.

What a cool little build!!!

Finally got the full build video finished up.

Too bad they don't make a 1/10 scale hard-body version of the first gen rx7s I know it wouldn't be the best for performance but it would be a cool body that would make me want to make an on road car. I know that they make lexan first gen bodies but they just don't have the detail that a hard body would ,and they extra weight would make it perform more realistically.

Love this build!

I used to have a 924 which is a very similar shape, have always wanted to do something like this with a model kit (probably carrera gtr bodykit rather than drift style).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12