sbg  

AE Element 2
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am an adult and I don't punch walls.

Default I am an adult and I don't punch walls.

I sleep in a bed, get my caffeine from coffee, and punch time clocks, not drywall.

Most adults prefer Toyota's, but as I'm confident in my adulthood, so I also build Jeep MJ's and drive them off of the roads.

Inspiration:

I'll be building this on the Vanquish chassis kit (or the VS4-10 Pro) depending entirely on what parts arrive and in what sequence. Stay tuned to see my decision. I may even just put it on the chassis kit with some Currie D44's for some semblance of accuracy. Yes, it's linked, but so is the reference truck (phew). This will also be one of my fastest builds ever, as I need to have it done for the first weekend in August as I'll be travelling down to Americaland to visit n00b and drive our real daily 1:1's in the mud at Rausch Creek. I want to have a new toy to play with while I'm waiting for the Jeep Recovery vehicle. Boom Self Roasted.

I started with Manitou's MJ conversion kit courtesy of JS Scale. It's a hardbody cab, MJ cab add-on and full 3D printed bed. I also got the RC Nerds late-model grille conversion. I DID NOT glue my fingers together because I am responsible at adulting.

Like any 3D printed body, it requires an ungodly amount of hand sanding. Because it's PLA, you shouldn't use a power sander, or you'll end up with a Melty McMelt face. I learned this after I started by using a power sander. This is after a few hours of hand sanding and assembly. I have at least a day's worth of sanding left to do. I put some primer down to track my progress.

One big thing, no pun intended, is the wheelbase. Somewhere in the 13"+ range. Which is too long. I want to keep the stock 12.3" wheelbase of the VP chassis so I decided to break it. Since I'm making a wheelbase adjustment, I had to take it out of the cab side of the bed.

And... broke.

Much better now.

Last edited by imthatguy; 06-18-2019 at 08:49 AM.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Is nice I like I note 2K epoxy primer is not popular west of the -30 meridian. Is there a reason for that? Made smoothing out my comanche rather... easy.
    JS Scale team driver

That's looking awesome dude!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fourth Protocol View Post
    Is nice I like I note 2K epoxy primer is not popular west of the -30 meridian. Is there a reason for that? Made smoothing out my comanche rather... easy.
    I've got epoxy primer, but I'm trying to use as little as possible and start with as smooth a finish as possible. The 4Runner was done that way (by n00b) and it turned out so well I'm following his lead. Plus, details will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by robbark34 View Post
    That's looking awesome dude!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, lots more to come, like, all of it.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Lookin sweet...I need to get me a 3D printer. But you are 1000% right about sanding these 3D bodies.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So...the truck is going to be named Kyle?
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    So...the truck is going to be named Kyle?
    You win today LOL

Well, there goes the gas filler neck, lol.

Go figure 3Dnerds would do the XJ year update after I had Wes use the Axial parts and do one for me, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've wanted to build an MJ for about a year now, other builds keep getting in the way.

I feel like a coward for buying the prefab MJ body now

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast