sbg  

AE Element

Thread: Beam Axle

Default Beam Axle

Hey kids. Interesting question, I think, for you. I want to convert my SCX10 to a beam front axle, as youíd find in a semi, or a really old car. Has anyone else done this? Iím guessing itís likely. Any ideas who makes an axle of the correct width? Iím thinking leaf springs are a given, but no clue beyond that. Thanks in advance!

try looking Tamiya semi truck front axle it is the style you want though the width I don't know about that, also I believe it uses a different hub design then the regular hex so you would have to factor that in as well. hope this helps.

That’s kind of the direction I was thinking of going. Also, it’s probably a cheap option, so that’s a win. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    Hey kids. Interesting question, I think, for you. I want to convert my SCX10 to a beam front axle, as youíd find in a semi, or a really old car. Has anyone else done this? Iím guessing itís likely. Any ideas who makes an axle of the correct width? Iím thinking leaf springs are a given, but no clue beyond that. Thanks in advance!
    I'm currently using a Tamiya 1/14th truck front axle on my latest 2WD build, and I'd say the distance between the hub faces (the front wheels free-wheel on bearings of course) is about 143mm. You can widen the track slightly using spacers and wheel-widener [barrel] nuts to hold the wheels on, but not too much otherwise you'll increase the arc of the wheel as it steers of course.

for info. I spaced mine out +7mm each side, as my vehicle is quite narrow overall.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JMo View Post
    I'm currently using a Tamiya 1/14th truck front axle on my latest 2WD build, and I'd say the distance between the hub faces (the front wheels free-wheel on bearings of course) is about 143mm. You can widen the track slightly using spacers and wheel-widener [barrel] nuts to hold the wheels on, but not too much otherwise you'll increase the arc of the wheel as it steers of course.

for info. I spaced mine out +7mm each side, as my vehicle is quite narrow overall.

Hope that helps.
    Thatís great, thank you! Good timing, too. I literally just buttoned up my Slash 4x4 rebuild.

GCM makes, or made, a 'gasser' front axle. It was really nice because it bolted up to leaf springs, and it took axial hubs on the ends so you could use any wheel. The only complaint I had was it had an extra set of leaf holes set further out than the standard leaf mounts (maybe there was a wider chassis at some point?) so it was a little wide.

I sold mine because of that width issue... wish I still had it. Maybe they'd do another run if we asked?
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things