sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driven To Cure GTR

Default Driven To Cure GTR

Andrew Lee was a close friend that I also helped out with his real cars, and got him into RC for a little bit. He liked my drift cars, but I got him to get an SCX10 to crawl around his back yard. He told me several times to make a copy of his car, the DTC GTR. I always said yes but never did it. Shame on me. Andrew passed away in April. He fought hard while he also brought a lot of attention to HLRCC, a rare kidney cancer. Driven has raised almost $500,000 in the past 3 or so years.

We had a gathering recently and the joke that I should have made an RC of the car was brought up. I laughed but also made up my mind I would do it before the funeral on Saturday, June 8th.

That was a few weeks ago...So I got the body, a Team Tetsujin Liberty Walk body, as that is in fact the body kit on the real car. Got the orange paint and a few little things and went to work. Got the exact wing that is on the 1:1, a Voltex Type 7. Perfect. The body needs a bit of work to get right but its cool once all Shoe Goo'd together. The wheels were the only thing I had to cheat a little as realistic replicas with any dish are impossible. And, I had these wheels.

It's on an MST FXX rwd chassis. I made it just a static for the funeral, so people could see it and pick it up, but no one would drive it and destroy it. Not on day 1. I will get it running soon and probably only run it at indoor car events when I'm with the DTC folks, on smooth concrete.

I'm excited to show it to his family. His brother is going to geek. But I wanted to show you guys for now, as I'm excited and glad this went quickly and smoothly. I took my birthday off the other day, thanks for the kind email SBG!, and spent the day tidying up the small details, lights, flame in tail pipe, and the magnets mounting the body. My close friend Jason, who owns the Silvia on the little TV on the wall, made me the DTC decals, and MiniPl8's made the F CANCR tags.

Enough jibber jabber. Hope you like it. Thanks for reading. Please check out:

www.driventocure.org

Thanks!
    Cory

One thing, I had done most of the body lines in black line decals made for that purpose, but it just looked wrong. So I yanked them off. Not as scale but looks better me thinks.

Beautiful car, nice work. I'm sure they will all enjoy it!

Thank you very much!

Wow! Amazing work. Great story as well. I am sure this will be a real treat at the funeral...
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

This is cool and very touching at the same time. F cancer indeed (issue in my family too) but huge thanks to those doctors, researchers, nurses, relatives and fundraisers for their important work! One day there will be cancer no more.

Thanks guys, and yes, F CANCER!

That turned out really nice. A nice tribute to your friend's car.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

The service was exceptional, and the mini version was loved by all. I was asked to make several more. I will make one to travel around with the car to shows, that is a runner, as asked by the family. Then a few family friends want one, but we shall see how many I'm willing and able to make.

I didn't want to be annoying and mess with the car at the actual service, so here's where it was, roped off so no one would disturb it:

Once back to the house after the service we got some side by side pics. It was oddly placed in the neighbor's driveway as the catering trucks took over the house's driveway, so not the greatest shots. A photographer friend wants to take some better pictures in the near future.

But I have to show you the urn for Andrew's ashes. 3D printed out of ceramic, done somewhere in Minnesota. It's about the same scale as my version, 1/10, and is quite heavy. Several folks thought I was walking around with the urn at the house. A very cool piece that Andrew had some input on before he passed. Better than any vase or box ever could be.

Thanks for all the kind words. A fun way to celebrate a friend.

That's just amazing. If I may, you sir are one damn fine friend to do that build.

Sorry for you that this build was because of the loss of a friend.

Sent from my Z558VL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast