sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dag's SMT10

Default Dag's SMT10

Hey everybody!

So I've been working abroad for ages, much fun was had, schnitzels were eaten, etc, but many tiny trucks weren't built.

Now, however, I'm home! Yay for spending a week doing washing now that my life is no longer suitcased!

And yay for having some time to devote to important things like finishing off all the trucks that are nearly done... er... oops...

So instead of that I'm having a go at my first ever monster truck. I've been wanting to get an SMT10 for ages- with the cage, axles, even mid motor it's so much more scale accurate than most other MTs of comparable price. Though officially discontinued (for now?) I found a really good deal at Hobbyking (am I allowed to say that?)- list US price which is much less than list UK price.

Intended use is scale monster trucking around with scale (tiny) jumps- I know the platform has some weaknesses but I'm hoping it will hold up ok without huge speed and airtime. Things will be upgraded when broken- probably gearbox first I guess. Other than that I'm not planning a huge amount of modding or scratch building so this thread will be short.

Having been totally inspired by Hemistorm's awesome "Sock Money" - check it out on Utube- I ordered a Proline 50s Chevy Panel Van body, aiming for a retro look.

I also promised my son it would have a Manic theme- he's a character from Sonic the hedgehog:

Manic.jpg

Green and spiky!

So the body arrived first, I did an aggressive Gravedigger style cut and masked it up:

20190601_100317.jpg

Used some clear green blended/backed with silver, gold and gunmetal:

20190601_123815.jpg

20190601_123833.jpg

20190601_123843.jpg

I haven't painted a lexan shell for ages and this was worryingly fun... shooting different colours on top of each other rather than waiting days and days for things to dry, then masking up again is really liberating!

Now the truck has arrived too- I've got the Max-D version as it's what they had. Black cage is versatile though and the smallest bear loves the Rock'n'Roll body so it's all cool.

Here we are all mounted up:

20190603_180417.jpg

So much fun!!!!!

20190603_180357.jpg

I really can't stress how fun this is, totally awesome thing!

Might need to get some cheap lexan 1/10 car bodies to drive over now... could be fun detailing them!

Pulled out some old tamiya stickers to make up the chassis/sponsor plates- these also hide the motor wires nicely:

20190604_162644.jpg

Here with body too:

20190604_162801.jpg

Now I need to track down some headers- they only come with the Gravedigger SMT10 (I got loads and loads of spikes instead, hehe!) and no one has them in stock here in the UK. Has anyone got a set they're not using? Or should I look on Shapeways?

Hope you all enjoy the bling- much silly but much fun too!

Very nice... looks like fun.

I know they are re-releasing this platform. It'll be interesting what other monster-trucks they will emulate this time around...
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Very nice... looks like fun.

I know they are re-releasing this platform. It'll be interesting what other monster-trucks they will emulate this time around...
    Thanks!

Yes indeed, and what changes are made to the chassis... hoping for full cross compatibility!

Awesome!!

The more I see these threads the more I want one of these.

Keep 'em coming!

Love a good Monster Truck build. Nice job with your original theme for the truck.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Quote Originally Posted by ShopGTR View Post
    Awesome!!

The more I see these threads the more I want one of these.

Keep 'em coming!
    Yeah you should! Super fun, super scale and a really nice contrast from the scale crawlers (and road cars)

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    Love a good Monster Truck build. Nice job with your original theme for the truck.
    Thanks Rex!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast