sbg  

GearHead
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Compass ORV Park

Default Broken Compass ORV Park

Hello everyone! I bought a TRX-4 Sport back in January and I quickly became fascinated with the scale building aspect of rc crawlers. I landed on this section of the site via Google search and was amazed, inspired and just generally blown away at the cool stuff you guys have created.

We have a nice wooded hillside behind our fence that is becoming our playground. We have plenty of room to expand as well. I decided to name it Broken Compass ORV Park after visiting a brewery called Broken Compass up in Breckenridge, Colorado. Beer and crawlers go hand in hand.

I haven't done much yet, but will document everything in this thread.

Chris

Looks like really cool place for scale park!

Default Park Entrance

After mapping out the general layout of the course, the first step was building a park entrance. I like the ranch-style gates so I made one out of poplar.

I stained it and made some fake metal plates out of balsa and brass nails. Made the sign on Illustrator and printed it to adhesive vinyl and attached it to a piece of lexan and hung it from brass hooks. Hobby Lobby has become my adult Toy's R Us and I stumbled across the perfect horseshoe with a star in it. Right size for the top of the gate.

I thought I was done until I saw some stacked stone work on a diorama site. I decided to try it out with some floral foam. It cuts easily with a miter saw and I used a Dremel to dig the rock shapes. Coated with a wood glue and water mixture, primed and then painted with various colored washes until they looked how I wanted.

I cemented it into the ground and Broken Compass ORV Park was finally born!

Chris

Default Starting Gate

I intend to build a registration building after entering the park, but I wasn't ready to tackle that yet. I wanted a motocross-style starting gate with the aluminum truss towers. I knew there was going to be a ton of dowel cutting, so I made my favorite purchase so far with a Proxxon hobby table saw.

Painted my start sign with stencils and coated in matte UV-resistant clear. The trusses took a painfully long time, but I was very thankful for the table saw.

Painted them with metallic silver paint and they resemble aluminum trusses that I wanted.

Bridge assembly in progress. Loving the Gorilla wood glue and good clamps!

Added a couple colors of stain as well as an oil trail with black spray paint and called it done.

Here it is in the wild. I plan to create a dry riverbed underneath it eventually.

Chris

Default Dead Man's Curve

After taking off from the starting gate, there's a neat sharp right-hander that goes naturally between two trees. Feels like it should be called Dead Man's Curve, so I've named it Dead Man's Curve.

It's a perfect fit for a 1/10 scaler. I hope it still fits when I bump up to 2.2 Pit Bulls soon. I've been impressed with the TRX-4 so far. My 7 year old did manage to destroy the steering servo after only several runs, but I'd heard it was weak to begin with. Upgraded to the 2255 and a BEC and hope that will hold up. Putting heavier springs on it now to handle the roof rack and winch weight.

More coming soon...

Chris

This is really cool man! Your use of wood and weathering is turning this wood into something amazing!

Thanks! I'm excited to see how it naturally weathers out in the elements.

Awesome start to wat im sure will end up a sweet park! Definantly watchin this one. Fantastic work!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Very cool. Nice work. Keep it up.

Wow! Nice job with that starting gate. And everything else too actually. You really hit the ground running with this one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast