sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Johnny builds a Toyota Hilux.

Default Johnny builds a Toyota Hilux.

I'm probably the only person on this board who hasn't built an RC4WD TF2. In fact, I've never even built a Hilux/Mojave body for another chassis. How I've gone this long without that experience I don't know, but it ends now!

This will be a pretty basic build. Nothing fancy. I'll do a few little things along the way to make it my own. It will be pretty dull compared to most of the builds you find on SBG, but that's OK! Baby steps. I'm doing the work. I'm not a slacker.

It all started with a box (which was inside a shipping box). It was a fine box, if a bit plain. Wait, there was a box inside the box. This box was much fancier with a shiny sticker on it to seal in freshness! There was even another box inside the fancy box. A brown box. It was plastic wrapped but I guess they were out of freshness stickers for that one. I hope it hasn't gone stale.

RC4WD Trail Finder 2 Hilux Build by johnny anguish, on Flickr

While we all may have built one, I think we can all agree that seeing another one built will be fantastic.

Carry on!
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Very nice boxes! Was there anything inside the last box? Btw, you are not alone, I haven't built or owned tf2 or anything else even remotely Hilux like, yet.

I too lack the hilux the build, glad to see another though!

Hiluxes are great. The end!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I've never seen an RC4WD product in real life, let alone touched one, so you're not the only one. Can't wait to see the build.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    While we all may have built one, I think we can all agree that seeing another one built will be fantastic.

Carry on!
    Carrying on! I do hope you're right. I'll try my best to provide the fantastic experience of which you speak.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlingFinn View Post
    Very nice boxes! Was there anything inside the last box? Btw, you are not alone, I haven't built or owned tf2 or anything else even remotely Hilux like, yet.
    Yay for not being alone! Of course the last box wasn't empty, silly. That's where the free toaster was!

Quote Originally Posted by born to crawl View Post
    I too lack the hilux the build, glad to see another though!
    More solidarity. Rejoice!

Quote Originally Posted by neilus View Post
    Hiluxes are great. The end!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    They are!

Quote Originally Posted by rcaddict07 View Post
    I've never seen an RC4WD product in real life, let alone touched one, so you're not the only one. Can't wait to see the build.
    Consider this build to be in your honor.

So, before I ventured into this build I did some readin' up. Research if you will. A common piece of advice is that, even though they come assembled, the axles should be disassembled (disassemble... dead!) and grease should be applied. Sounds good to me. I like playing with screwdrivers.

Here are a couple of pictures to prove I did it. The first shows the axle apart. The second, the axle back together. Now, I could have tried to play a trick on you and use a "before" picture as the "after" picture. I could have. I really could have. But I didn't. Because tiny trucks don't drive well with the axles all taken apart. I won't make that mistake again.

Last edited by JohnnyAnguish; 05-07-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: your're isn't a word

I love where this thread is going! Free toasters and all. Gotta get me one Yota.

Nice axle action. I've done a Tamiya Hilux (now scx10ii) and a Gelande ii but never a tf2, this will be very enlightening! Enleafening...

That research I mentioned before also brought the rear leaf shackle mount issue to my attention. Being the attentive fellow that I am, I picked up (and installed!) the BowHouse RC rear leaf shackle mounts. While I was in a shackle state of mind, I also picked up (and installed!) the RC4WD reverse mount spring hanger for the front leafs. Why? Because it's my tiny truck and I get to pick which scale details drive me crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast