sbg  

RPP Associated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW: The Ultimate Procrastination Machine

Default BMW: The Ultimate Procrastination Machine

Be warned all who ye venture here. This might get done in a day, in a week, in a month, in a year, in 10 years.. or it may sit undone until your grandchildren discover space tourism.

I had this body sitting on a shelf for 10 years. Hmm. Its one of the original rastar 1/10s that all but extinct now. So wash off 10 years of dust and we have this.

Lovely. It's........... actually shockingly heavy. Lots of opening parts, inner panels, hinges springs etc. All that will get torn out. It has nice details however. So before i strip it out, please note it is red. I have a thing about red plastic if some might recall. Well i cheated a bit and figured out its white, but painted red. Some striping later we get this lovely plastic to work with. Sadly i need to figure out how to get the rest of the red off because using what i used on the hood will run me 90$ due to size.

I also need to decide what i want to do about the side indicators. Those just are terrible. Im trying to decide if i want to plug the whole slot or make some sort of a vent. Will have to poach photos to see what is in the real world. I need to decide this before i start the bodywork.

Maybe more later. Maybe. Nobody knows! Nah i'll get this done. i promise

you can do it !

Stripped it down of all attachable parts and so forth.

I want to cut a lot pieces off so i dont care about perfectly removing the paint at this stage. you can see it cleans off pretty well from doors hood etc. Once i trim it as i like i'll give it another go for any crevices NOT covered by another panel.

Too bad i cant use DOT3 on this... Weight shed well just by removing hinges and springs. The only thing that might open is the hood so i can trim a lot of plastic everywhere else.

I was close to buying one of these not long ago. I know it'll fit on a MST drift/road 2.0 cars with their long-wheelbase chassis conversion.

Gorgeous body.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

It absolutely is. My only regret is not buying another when i had the chance. Havent seen them since. It fits width wise all 1/10 touring cars (because those are basically standardized in width, oddly enough). Though now that ive said that, im sure there are exceptions.

I filled the channels. Left the holes for now. Still thinking what to do with that area.. im thinking fine mesh insert or something. Need to see what you can put there on the real one. The stock "indicator" was not salvageable (they crack with age) and they were way out of scale anyway.

Then i took the big boys out

It is impossible to see with the body painted but the actual shape is like V, with the front being considerably narrower than the rear. This makes for some weird wheel tuck and poke issues. Had to be fixed. Since i tapered the expansion, i will only need to fix the hood and make a new windshield. Anyway, figured the best place to cut was between the grille ovals. Nobody will notice a little extra space there anyway.

the support beam is expanded less so the whole thing is now level with no side warping etc.

Some rough shaping later, i finally got the body shape it deserves. I might have to add more temp braces since the cutter pressure likes to snap my expansion joint in the back. I will trim the area down to paper thin and then build back up some of the curve for support. I just want to get rid of the stock plastic now.

I shouldnt even be working on this but a certain chinaman is late with some other project of mine.... cough

i trimmed all over what i felt was just dead weight. and started plugging some holes and what not, cast lines removal.. you know the usual.

hood extension is about done. still needs levelling ofc and all that.

looks oem enough to me.

pardon me for chiming in way too late but... couldn't you have just used wheels with less offset in front, more in the rear? like we 1:1 tuner dudes do?
    or was it just too much to difference compensate?

looking forward to this one. and i know about "eventual" builds someday i hope to find a 1:10-ish scale AE86 hardbody and do this.

not a stupid question at all. thing is, after some digging on ebay i could not find what i wanted in terms of wheels and tires as alternates. i had all that picked out years ago and they are long out of production. see ive been secretly stockpiling parts for this at random times :p

the difference was actually quite big, literally 10mm. once i found out about it, my ocd would not let it slide. right now its not 100% even either but close enough to get the proper wheel fitment in the front for the design i want to use and correct the V shaped body visually.

its progressing. ive been plugging along with the bodywork so nothing exciting to show. i should start on the chassis soon.

There's so many models that should be made but are not. And now even with 3d printing there is far less variety than one would expect. sadly it always comes to what is popular.

Need to decide on color now.. Not sure if i want to make the hood open.. probably not. gaps are fine, its just not fixed so it moves

i ended up fixing more body issues than i thought there were. oem paint covered them up well

update aka non update: sep19
    2 months later its ready for paint but i havent even touched the chassis. i have boxes of tamiya kits and every imaginable metal part for them that i need to sort through an actually assemble this. i just dont feel like it tho. ugh. i must do that so i can create the body mounts before i paint. but.... no desire. probably in november ill feel like it. sorta want to do more on the patrol first as its taking 2 work tables at the moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast