sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Throttle Garage

Default Full Throttle Garage

What's going on everyone! This is my first build thread here on the SBG and I'm excited to show it off as it comes together. I have been scrolling through the pages here for a while now and pick up a few things, one of them being the awesomeness of scale garages. I decide a scale garage would be a great way for me to get a little practice with styrene so I started brainstorming.

Here's where I started. I created the walls on my existing workbench using white foam board, the kind of stuff you would use for school projects. It was pretty easy to work with and really cheap so it works well.

I'm aiming for the interior look of professional race shop, clean white walls and floor, and painted beams. Unfortunately, the styrene I-Beams I ordered were back-ordered so I'm stuck waiting on them.
    I did go ahead and get my lighting situation figured out. The led strips combined with my work lamp give me more than enough light... for now.

Then came my first ever attempt with styrene. Here is my enclosure for the roll up garage door. Its a simple build, but it was a great way for me to dive into the world of styrene. The second picture also shows my first idea for the garage door itself, but that didn't work as planned. More on that later.

I should have more pictures and progress to share tomorrow. Don't want my first post to be super long

-Sam

Good start! Will follow this for sure as I've been planning on building a scale garage for my workbench too

Well I don't have much of an update today cause I forgot to take pictures of a good bit of it>
    But anyway, I got some more styrene building done. I wanted to create a workbench for my new shop. I didn't have any square tubing though, so I cut strips of styrene and made my own. I took inspiration from another SBG members garage build as well as the actual workbench in our full size shop. I painted the frame of the bench red today but forgot to get a picture, so I'll get one tomorrow. I plan on putting a metal top on it like the one I'm referencing. (Sorry I don't remember the members name)

The white floor is just my work mat, which is a large magnet covered in white vinyl. I'll probably keep it for now and just remove the foam boarder from the edges against the walls.
    This is the last picture I took of the shop. Like I mentioned, I have painted the frame of the workbench, and I have also started working on the garage door.

My I-Beams finally showed up today, so I'm hoping to start putting the into place tomorrow!

-Sam

More updates today. I got the workbench painted red and installed the "leveling feet". I went back and found the build I had been taking inspiration from for this been. It was created by RexRacer19, so if you see this, thank you sir for the inspiration!
    The last thing the bench needs is the metal top.

Like I had mentioned in my first post, my original idea for the garage door didn't work out too well. After doing some searching I decided to try using some Komacel PVC foam board and carve the lines in it. When I picked up the board from a local sign shop I was pretty sure I had the wrong stuff. It felt pretty solid and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to carve it easily. To my surprise, it worked perfectly and I began painstakingly carving each line into the board with a screwdriver.

Somehow, I'm still not sure how, the board I had carved all the lines into ended up not being square. So when standing against the wall it was a little crooked. Its probably hard to see in the pictures, but it bothered me so I started over from scratch
    I was still able to use it to make sure I was happy with the size of it and get a few progress shots.

Axial Bomber for size comparison

Monster Truck gonna need some transport wheels to fit through the door

I finished up the new panel last night and primed and sanded it today, it won't be staying black. You can see where I had to fix a small slip up when my screwdriver wandered from the side of the ruler.

I didn't get to start mocking up the I-Beams like I had planned today, too many projects going on at once. Maybe tomorrow.
    Thanks for looking!

-Sam

Great start! Dollhouses for trucks are essential part of this hobby. Sometimes more important and more fun than trucks themself! Dont be too careful, scratches and stains and disorder always add more realism!

Great start! I may copy that workbench, really nice!!

Off to a nice start on your shop! Glad I could offer inspiration on the workbench.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Quote Originally Posted by Halme View Post
    Great start! Dollhouses for trucks are essential part of this hobby. Sometimes more important and more fun than trucks themself! Dont be too careful, scratches and stains and disorder always add more realism!
    Thanks! I agree. Just couldn't have a random scratch in the middle of my garage door

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    Great start! I may copy that workbench, really nice!!
    Thank you! I cannot take credit for the workbench though.

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    Off to a nice start on your shop! Glad I could offer inspiration on the workbench.
    Thank you! Your shop in general was a big inspiration for me to start thinking about building one of my own.

After returning home from a little vacation over the weekend, I was able to get some more work done on the scale garage. I started off by taking some measurements to join two styrene I-Beams together to form the angle of the ceiling. I think these turned out great! They are just taped on the wall for mock up right now. They will be painted when all of the beams are complete.

I began painting the components of the garage door but didn't get a chance to finish. I need to use them to get the measurements for the structure around the door, so I'll go back and finish painting later. You can see the garage door up in place to test the fitment here.

The walls still looked bare to me. I decided to create some cross supports that will span the I-Beams. I only have one taped into position here, but there will be at least one support in between each set of beams.

And finally, a sneak peek of the next part of the shop I started working on.

I create YouTube videos of most of my RC projects as well. I'm not sure if it is ok or not to link my videos here, but I have included the video I made covering these updates. If this is against any rules, please let me know and I will remove the video!

Thanks for looking!
    -Sam

Nice progress and that video was fun addition to basic build threads. Your garage build actually inspired me to start planning on my own scale garage, I've been thinking about it for a while now and I think I'll go for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast