sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Scale Project 4x4 advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Fourth Protocol View Post
    Guess it depends on how closely you want to model the 1:1. It's an interesting choice so I'll be watching no matter what you go with!
    Thank you very much for the input. Lot to digest. The CMAX does sound like the best way to start a true custom, but I'm worried about doing a complete scratch build. Pretty overwhelming. I'd really like to find a builder chassis kit with front and rear independent suspension with some solid components that could get me rolling and then modify as needed once I get a better grasp of the mechanical interplay.

I've been weighing my kit options.. the Yeti has a suitable wheelbase and the appropriate performance/stance as a platform but it has a solid rear axle, the Slash 4x4 has front and rear independent but the wheelbase is slightly too long and I'm not really looking to "bash" at 60mph... The Summit is a perfect 1:8 wheelbase AND it has front and rear indie suspension but it is a monster truck so I'm not sure what sort of mod-ability it has to build upon. HELP

Just so I'm clear, I don't want an RTR. I want to assemble everything for the educational aspect(as well as a huge point of pride). I'm just not seeing a lot of kits that can accommodate my needs, at least not right out of the box. I'm totally cool with getting a hybrid suspension chassis kit and then modding the rear, I just need to learn more about the parts and what is necessary to perform surgery like that.

I'd really like to eventually fabricate and reproduce the true 1:1 rear suspension of the VBL, once I can figure out everything that system is comprised of. I'm on the verge of buying a $100 book on the VBL, in French, just so I can operate from the most informed position possible for scale building. I just wish I was able to comprehend French! Oh the ennui.. merde.

Further input from you all would be lovely. Thanks for the education thus far!

This is verging on chassis questions and not a build thread. If you'd prefer, I'll move it there, and you can continue to seek help and ponder your choices.

All the trucks you mentioned are stupid fast/large, and while they may be good examples in terms of the suspension you're going for, you'll be smashing whatever body you create to pieces. Trust me, I know from experience on a smaller scale.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

What about scx10ii with the upcoming ifs kit that's currently being discussed on here?

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    This is verging on chassis questions and not a build thread. If you'd prefer, I'll move it there, and you can continue to seek help and ponder your choices.

All the trucks you mentioned are stupid fast/large, and while they may be good examples in terms of the suspension you're going for, you'll be smashing whatever body you create to pieces. Trust me, I know from experience on a smaller scale.
    Yes, that might be more appropriate. Sorry about that. I'm just trying to establish a platform and get input from knowledgeable builders. I could open a specific build thread when the building actually begins, I suppose! Also, I hear you on the recklessness (wreckfullness) of those trucks, I DO want a large scale vehicle and I want it to be versatile but I don't want it to destroy itself, either.

Quote Originally Posted by dagabba View Post
    What about scx10ii with the upcoming ifs kit that's currently being discussed on here?
    I would love to hear more about that! I will try to dig that thread up(links are also very welcome).
    EDIT: Pretty sure I found the thread you were referencing. Looks promising but I have a feeling it is going to be a while before it even see's a limited release from that source, if ever. I'll pursue other avenues for now but I appreciate the lead!
    Last edited by MiserablePixels; 03-30-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Search function ftw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12