sbg  

RPP VS4 2018
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Scale Project 4x4 advice?

Default First Scale Project 4x4 advice?

Hello!

I'm new to scale RC building and am hoping to get some advice on beginning a project.

First off, the build is a Panhard VBL. The VBL is a 100kph, 4x4, moderate+ wheel travel, on/offroad capable military scout car. It's my first MRV true love and I will probably never have the opportunity to own a real one unless I move to Europe so I finally decided to do the next best thing and build one... but smaller.

I want to reproduce the functional capabilities of the vehicle in addition to accurately representing it visually. In RC terms I think the overall role I'm looking to achieve is probably classified as "Trail", not really a crawler, definitely not a racer. Being versatile, quick and very tough are the priorities.

As far as I can see, my first concern should be finding the best frame/platform to accommodate the body while simultaneously meeting my performance expectations. The biggest concern I can foresee in that area is the axle placement in relation to the wheelwell of the body.

So in terms of scale I initially thought I could do it in 1:10 but according to my measurements, based on general specs available online and measuring via photoshop, the wheelbase is too short for most of the kits I've seen. I've calculated the wheelbase at 1:10 is 250mm and 1:9 is 277mm and 1:8 is 313mm. It looks like the Galende 2 and the Ascender frames come close at 1:9 but the SCX10 II can fit 313mm so I'm wondering if buying one of those kits is the best, most economical way to start building.

Is this a reasonable assessment? Could anyone recommend something better? I'd really like as much metal as I can get, cost not withstanding.

I appreciate any suggestions/advice!

A scx10 is a great choice. I used one for my first build and its a great starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be cool and different build! For SCX10 II there are rear links that give you option to have 287mm (11.4") wheelbase. It would result around 1:8,7 scale. Most "1/10" builds are around 1/9 actually so that would be pretty good choise. Scx10.2 raw builders kit comes with links for 3 different wheelbase options, including 11.4".

Edit: I took a better look at pics of the Panhard and it seems to have independent suspension, so scx10, Gelande etc. aren't really accurate platforms as they have solid axles. You might need to look for rc4wd Hero for example.

Edit2: I really hope you will make it amphibio like the 1:1

Yes, you're totally right and it really limits my options, unfortunately. I'll have to dig more into the independent options out there...

And YES I would freakin love to go amphibious and reproduce the V-hull! Pretty advanced for a first attempt but thats what I'm here for.

Thanks for the input, anything else that occurs would be great to hear, particularly in regard to pointing out a viable suspension solution.

Hi MiserablePixels - with regard to trying to replicate the 4-wheel independent suspension, perhaps consider using a pair of Vaterra Twin Hammers front differential/wishbone assemblies (and just lock out the rear steering knuckles) - and join them together with either a simple pair of C-channel chassis rails, or cut a floor panel out of 2mm thick aluminium - which would neatly double up as the smooth bottom of the 1:1 hull too.

That way you'd have independent suspension front and rear, and could decide on exactly the wheelbase you want?

Mount a centre transmission (SCX10 or similar) and a couple of prop-shafts, and you'd have your rolling chassis...

I suggest the Twin Hammers front end set-up particularly as it's nice and compact and Vaterra parts tend to be pretty cheap too, plus there are a good number of upgrades (aluminium) etc. for the wishbones and knuckles etc. should you wish.

Hope that helps?

This is fun. I'd go bigger so you can use the Axial kit. Most versatile chassis out of the box.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

There's CMAX from GCM Racing. Lets you choose your own wheelbase. I recommend this approach because that flexibility lets you pick a scale based on track width, i.e. axle. That said the VBL has IFS at least, possibly independent all 'round (can't tell from the pictures). If that's the case you might for IFS consider modifying a Tamiya CC01 for length, or similarly modifying a Tamiya TT-02 if independent all' round. Both Tamiya kits are comparatively cheap, you can lock the axles and switch to better tires to give it more than adequate trail running ability. TT02 could do with longer shocks. There are loads of aftermarket options for both kits.

Axial and Vaterra are both good choices too, but they constrain what you can do for the interior, and limit your axle choices.

Guess it depends on how closely you want to model the 1:1. It's an interesting choice so I'll be watching no matter what you go with!
    Last edited by Fourth Protocol; 03-28-2019 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling tanks from a phone

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    This is fun. I'd go bigger so you can use the Axial kit. Most versatile chassis out of the box.
    I agree, bigger is better. Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by JMo View Post
    Hope that helps?
    Yes! Very helpful, thank you. It creates more questions for me but I think I see what you are suggesting.

As long as we're going down the scale rabbit-hole, if I wanted to get REALLY accurate, there is another issue with the suspension. The 1:1 vehicle's rear suspension look like hydrogas systems. (?) Could I get some confirmation on that?

As far as I know, that system is used somewhat commonly among tanks but wow I can see trying to figure that out in a 4x4 being an enormous undertaking. Why is it that the more difficult this seems to be getting, the more appealing it is? Just the masochist in me, I guess.

Would an RC tank be the only place to find something like that? Are there any other examples of that system ANYWHERE in RC?

It seems honestly like scratch building it is the best way to go at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaddict07 View Post
    It seems honestly like scratch building it is the best way to go at this point.
    Yeah that seems good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast