sbg  

AE Element 2

Thread: Making a Tamiya Sand Rover re-re more scale

Default Making a Tamiya Sand Rover re-re more scale

I've had this little Sand Rover for a while now. It's just a basic little fun runner, still with its RS380 motor and pogo-stick shocks. I like it, but recently its proportions have been bothering me. If you've seen these things before, you know what I mean:

Tamiya just kind of slapped this body on an existing buggy chassis and hoped that it fit. Well, it doesn't. Since these came out, people have done lots of things to shorten the wheelbase and narrow the track width, to get the proportions closer to a real Meyers Manx dune buggy (or the original early '80s Sand Rover model). I didn't want to mess with the suspension, but I wanted to fix the wheelbase. So out came the hacksaw:

There. Not the most elegant solution, but probably not too far from the way Bruce Meyers made the original Manx from a VW platform, so in that sense, it's "scale."

And it sits much better now...

It's still "too wide," but I'm going to leave it as is, because I like driving this thing, and the extra width will help to keep it shiny-side-up.

Speaking of which, the next step is filling those extra holes in the hood, and giving it an appropriate '60s dune buggy color. I'm leaning towards purple, but we'll see.

These classic tamiya bodies are work of art, and I believe they deserve better chassises. I am looking forward to seeing how you make the buggy way cooler.
    Hiroki

Well, sadly... I completely botched the paint on it. It had a bad reaction between the silver base coat and the candy purple top coat (different brands of paint, always a gamble) and ended up with bad fisheyes and runs all over it.

I'm going to try to strip it down and try again, but... not right now. Right now I have to just put it away for a while.