sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Old barn

Default Old barn

For a long time I've had this dream to build a 1:9 scale building of a some kind. This year we are going to have a (huge!) indoor crawling course at a big hobby fair here in Helsinki, Finland. HupiCon is the name of the show and it covers all kind of indoor hobbies and activities including modelling, RC, Legos and tabletop gaming etc..

Anyhow this was a good reason to try to fulfill my lifelong dream and build something.. I decided to build a barn/shed because more wonky the outcome is, better the result! It also fits our theme in the hobby fair!

Since it has to be portable it needs to be in separate pieces. Like Fourth Protocols 50's gas station is!

First we put few pieces on top of eachother to support the frames.

And craft four separate frames from very old wood found from attic of our own shed. This procedure was carried on with a high level of spontanious creativiness.

Little strange yes but as the frames are their own elements, they need to have their own vertical supports. Roof elements are supposed to "lock" the frames finally together

Dowel connections are made intentionally a bit loose to make disassembly easier.

30cm gate width mind your width!

I've already made a bunch of scale planks what will be installed vertically and aged with vinegar.

Next up will be the roof pieces! Whole building needs to be ready and weathered in less than a month so I try to be quick this time.

Thanks for watching!

This is cool! Looking forward to more progress pics!

Looks cool, can't wait to see this in person at the fair! And also to meet you in person. I have an idea for a scale accessory that might look cool next to your shed, we will see if I have time to scratch it together.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyNightmare View Post
    This is cool! Looking forward to more progress pics!
    Hay thanks! Trying to keep it simple this time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlingFinn View Post
    Looks cool, can't wait to see this in person at the fair! And also to meet you in person. I have an idea for a scale accessory that might look cool next to your shed, we will see if I have time to scratch it together.
    Tänks! You are more than welcome to visit us at the fair! If you want you can also volunteer in our department at the fair for a free entrance! Check our local forum for the details. Looking forward to meet you too! Not too many of us here in Land of Swamp.

Progress! First wall up.

Need to cut more! Thanks for watching!

You are making good progress! Nice scale planks.

And I'm already on the volunteer list, just using different name on the Finnish forum

Looking good- My only tip would be using coffee as a stain as well. My experience with the vinegar/steel wool was not quite as good as I got with diluted coffee

Quote Originally Posted by onetruescooty View Post
    Looking good- My only tip would be using coffee as a stain as well. My experience with the vinegar/steel wool was not quite as good as I got with diluted coffee
    Second that, coffee is really good for aging and staining wood, paper etc. Although it feels little bad to waste good coffee.

My breath is bated

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlingFinn View Post
    You are making good progress! Nice scale planks.

And I'm already on the volunteer list, just using different name on the Finnish forum
    This explains a lot! Sneaky you

Quote Originally Posted by onetruescooty View Post
    Thanks! Still about to try with vinegar but going to do some testing before. Depends a lot of how strong the iron-vinegar potion is and what wood is used. Read also somewhere that pre-treatment with strong tea should help with the process as it contains lots of tannins. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourth Protocol View Post
    My breath is bated
    I've also stopped breathing. What a waste of air such thing is!!

Walls raised!

I think I should be brewing some potions next! Voodoo magic kind of potions.

Looks great! Can’t wait to see the weathering.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM