sbg  

AE Element
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old barn

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Looks great! Can’t wait to see the weathering.
    Your wait is over! You can all breathe now. Thanking you.

Got busy as usual. It will never change!

I did some experimental field testing. I had previously (like two years ago) made this dilution of vinegar and iron what seemed to be super strong after the generous curing time. I thinned some of it with pure vinegar because I was getting too rusty-brownish-reddish results with it.

Like they said, preparing the wood with strong tea or coffee before the vinegarwash really does help with the effect! Check this out:

Quite a difference I may say!

For this project I used both tea and coffee. Worked out like it should yes but the result itself was not what I had in mind as I want this to be more on the gray side of old wood palette. Preparing wood like this is anyhow pretty fast and it gives a nice dark base for other kind of weathering tricks. Like paint.

I drybrushed some light gray all around it and then washed it with old white glossy floor wax what I had leftover from home renovations. I tinted down to gray with ash. Now it looks much better and starts to be where I want it to be. Not finished yet but getting there!

It looks bit too dry so darker shades will be added. Carefully ofcourse!

I painted also the roofing material. Corrugated carton will fool everyonw think that it's corrugated steel after some paint. I used gray primer and then some different shades of brown to represent rust. This will be cut down to smaller pieces and then reorganized on the roof.

Thanking you again. This should be ready on thursday as the Model Fair starts this weekend..! I may be soon in hurry.

That wood is perfectly weathered ! Like you said hurry up but just because we want to see more
    Jsscale - GCM team driver

Quote Originally Posted by klako View Post
    That wood is perfectly weathered ! Like you said hurry up but just because we want to see more
    Thanks! Weathered everything a bit more, mostly with rusty brown and green Citadel wash.

Got it "finished" for the model fair! Have some pics!

Collective thanks for everyone in our club who joined in with all the delicious scale junk!

Amazing! SO well done.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Looking really good
    Jsscale - GCM team driver

Awesome work! Looks amazing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12