sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1/25 scale SVT Lightning

Default She's too high!

Ever been "too high?" Well currently, the Lightning is sitting like a drag truck or a sled puller!

I fabbed up some leaf spring perches out of brass and temporarily attached them to the axle. The spring mounts are also temporarily attached to the truck as well. I rigged up the wheels and tires to attach to the rear in order to get the truck mocked up while on its wheels. The front suspension is just the kit's components tacked together so I can get an idea of how it should be sitting.

Current ride height mock up. It's still way too high.

Showing off the rear!

The desired front ride height as set by the model kit suspension components.

I've got a few more ideas to try in order to get this thing lowered. My next attempt is to do a shackle flip on it in order to raise the rear eyelet of the leaf, hopefully lowering the truck while retaining geometry. Another thought was to shorten the shackles themselves. I've got more material on the way so I can try both ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFoster View Post
    Ever been "too high?" Well currently, the Lightning is sitting like a drag truck or a sled puller!

I fabbed up some leaf spring perches out of brass and temporarily attached them to the axle. The spring mounts are also temporarily attached to the truck as well. I rigged up the wheels and tires to attach to the rear in order to get the truck mocked up while on its wheels. The front suspension is just the kit's components tacked together so I can get an idea of how it should be sitting.

Current ride height mock up. It's still way too high.

Showing off the rear!

The desired front ride height as set by the model kit suspension components.

I've got a few more ideas to try in order to get this thing lowered. My next attempt is to do a shackle flip on it in order to raise the rear eyelet of the leaf, hopefully lowering the truck while retaining geometry. Another thought was to shorten the shackles themselves. I've got more material on the way so I can try both ideas.
    Is it possible to just go sua? (Spring under axle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RotnWays View Post
    Is it possible to just go sua? (Spring under axle)
    I have considered going that route, and may ultimately go that way. As I want to get it as close to realistic as possible, I want to try the shackle flip in any case. My materials for this attempt were delayed and won't be here until the end of the week.

Default Lower is better.

Small-ish update for the the rear suspension.

I drilled and tapped the brass leaf perches I made. The screws hold the leaves to the axles and also act as centering pins to help keep everything aligned. I also modified some of the front spring mounts to get the eyes of the springs even closer to the chassis. This helped immensely. I began on fiddling with some rear hangers for the rear shackles to lower it as well. I think I've got the truck where I want it sitting in the rear.
    Here's the fabricated spring mounts for the leaf spring conversion of the Make It RC MA10 coil sprung axle. These mounts were drilled and tapped to act as mounting points and to center the axle on the provided holes of the Ambush leaf springs.

Speaking of leaf springs, I had ordered 5 more springs and hardware for future builds and they only sent me this. I should be receiving the rest soon.

Here you can see my fix to lower the truck even more. This is still a work in progress, but I think this helps prototype the shackle flip I wanted to achieve. Barely seen is the second leaf of the 3-leaf pack swapped to the top of the leaf and flipped upside down. This helps stiffen the suspension some, and provides a bit of lowering to the truck as well.

I think I've got everything square and centered properly.

Undercarriage shot. Still have plenty of room for details and travel.

With the rear coming together to what I want, it's time to start on the front!

Fantastic work and attention to detail, it's really neat seeing a leaf spring set up. Good luck with it, and looking forward to seeing more!

Quote Originally Posted by Make It RC View Post
    Fantastic work and attention to detail, it's really neat seeing a leaf spring set up. Good luck with it, and looking forward to seeing more!
    Thanks!

It's been a bit busy as of late, so the Lightning has been benched for a hot minute. With work and prepping for a vacation (haven't had one in over 7 years), time is being crunched everywhere. Hopefully more updates in the week following next.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12