sbg  

GearHead
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Cherokee's F-350

This build thread is GOLD! I love it, and your building skills are truly impressive. I obviously have a lot of skills I need to learn :)

Would you mind sharing the specs on the tubing you use here? And also, how did you get such a nice sharp bend on the corners of the rear bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by jshalvorsen View Post
    This build thread is GOLD! I love it, and your building skills are truly impressive. I obviously have a lot of skills I need to learn :)

Would you mind sharing the specs on the tubing you use here? And also, how did you get such a nice sharp bend on the corners of the rear bumper?

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Keep building and keep playing, we all started with limited skills at some point.

The tubing I'm using is simply 3/16" galvanized brake line from the auto parts store. I buy it in 6' lengths and cut the flares off both ends. You MUST get the galvanizing off before you braze it, it's very toxic if burned. I chuck mine up in a cordless drill and sand it off with emery cloth outside with a dust mask on. I stay away from the dark coated line, it's not as strong and the coating is harder to get off. I'll start buying stainless tube when I stop making so many mistakes lol.

My tube bender is from a long gone company called Eritex RC. Its called the baby tube shark. The smallest die is 1/2", most I've seen for RC have 1-1.25" die as the smallest. I'm pretty sure that was it's main claim to fame.

I know someone asked about what I use to braze so I'll post that as well.
    I use Harris Saftey-Silv 45 and their Stay-Silv flux. You can get 56 as well, it has higher silver content so it costs more, but it has a lower melting point too.

My torch is a Smith Little Torch running on MAPP and oxygen. You do NOT need a torch this fancy to braze, a simple MAPP torch from the hardware store will work just fine.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for looking
    -Cherokee
    Sioux Falls RC Crawlers. Est. 2007

Thanks for going in depth on the equipment you use, it is super helpful! The cost of this hobby is quickly rising I must say, but all the fun seems to be worth it. Only problem now is that I'm already thinking about a potential next build!

Another small update, I've been a little busy.
    I got some fire glue on the braces that I made the other day. Unfortunately, that's all I've had time to get done. Better than nothing I suppose lol.

I'll have to see if I can get some more done this week or not.

Thanks for looking
    -Cherokee

Those braces line up perfectly, should take a fair old whack too.
    I love that little tube bender, pity they may not be available anymore. Reckon I'll go hunting for one like it anyway, just gotta have one now I've seen it. Beats bending it in a vice around a socket.........

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Those braces line up perfectly, should take a fair old whack too.
    I love that little tube bender, pity they may not be available anymore. Reckon I'll go hunting for one like it anyway, just gotta have one now I've seen it. Beats bending it in a vice around a socket.........
    I think they'll help a lot!

Tube bender may be hard to find, not a lot even got made. The guy that ran the company took a bunch of preorder money and disappeared. He was a pretty stand up guy.

For really tight bends on a solid rod, I just clamp it in the vice and bend it in the jaws. I also use K&S mini and mighty wire benders.

Not really any progress on the Ford, apparently I have to earn money to pay for these toys. So lame!

-Cherokee

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, been pretty busy around the house. I did get a tiny spec of progress. Masked and painted part of the dash to make it look more like a Ford part. I also ordered a molded clear window as the vacuum formed RC4WD one fits horribly. That should be here this week sometime. I've done so much with the tube work I'm considering painting a new body for this if I go that route I would like to get a Loops drop bed or maybe make my own.

Spanks for looking
    -Cherokee

That's one upbeat looking bench caddy organizer thingy.

How do you like that HPI transmission? Is it fairly robust?
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    That's one upbeat looking bench caddy organizer thingy.

How do you like that HPI transmission? Is it fairly robust?
    The organizer was designed for building planes and matched some of the companies field accessories. I have always intended to paint it, never happened lol.

The HPI box for me is untested. I added a 5mm output shaft I got from RCModelex. This is the box recommended for their heavy steel chassis so, I hope it holds up. If it doesn't, I'll probably put in a single speed R3.

-Cherokee

Damnit Small Factory this is all your fault!
    Peeled off the stickers, cleaned, sanded, primed, and painted satin gray.

Not the greatest but it just holds tools so I can live with it. Sure looks a lot better.

-Cherokee

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast