sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new "big" 4x4: 1989 Chevy K1500

Default My new "big" 4x4: 1989 Chevy K1500

I've been needing (OK, wanting) to get back into a pickup truck for quite a while now, and after having a couple deals fall through, I finally landed this beast yesterday for $1200. '89 K1500, 4.3 V6, 4 speed with a granny low, just under 200,000 miles. Runs and drives just fine, thank you. As you can probably tell by the color, it's a former US Forest Service truck. It has no options at all except AC, just how I like 'em.

More photos this weekend, after I've had a chance to clean 'er up...

The color is something else! Love it. Very square.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Had a 4.3 in my first truck. Was an S10 though.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    The color is something else! Love it. Very square.
    That's "Forest Service Green." It's the original color, and as far as I can tell, the original paint. I really like it, it's a nice change from all the white/silver/black trucks everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Had a 4.3 in my first truck. Was an S10 though.
    I'm hoping it means it gets better mileage than a V8 would, at least a little bit. Feels like plenty of power, especially with the gearing this thing has got.

Oh, and it goes without saying, especially on this site, that a "mini-me" version will be built at some point...

Spent the day tinkering around with this beast. Replaced half a dozen burned-out dash bulbs, repaired a broken hinge on the glovebox, and cleaned EVERYTIHNG. Good lord was it nasty in there. But it cleaned up nicely, and it no longer smells like an ashtray.

True story: I have bought 4 used pickup trucks in my life, including this one. Every single one has had bullets or empty shells somehwere in the interior. For a while I thought I was going to strike out on this one, but then, stuck in a puddle of sticky gunk under the glovebox, there they were...

The streak continues unbroken. My world makes sense again.

I also ordered new upholstery for the seat, because it really is trashed. I'll post some before-and-after photos when the time comes.

Wow, looks to be rust free. That would never happen where I live.

Great price as well. Congrats.
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Wow, looks to be rust free. That would never happen where I live.

Great price as well. Congrats.
    Thanks. Yeah, the lack of rusty vehicles is my favorite thing about the west coast. No salt on the roads in winter. But it does make the 4WD mandatory.

So I just did some math, out of curiosity: 6.55 granny gear * 2.72 4WD Low transfer case * 3.73 axles = 66.45:1 lowest possible gear ratio. Good grief... I can pull a house with that, just very slowly...

Quote Originally Posted by markbt73 View Post
    So I just did some math, out of curiosity: 6.55 granny gear * 2.72 4WD Low transfer case * 3.73 axles = 66.45:1 lowest possible gear ratio. Good grief... I can pull a house with that, just very slowly...
    Cwalrer
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Took care of that nasty seat today. Found 3 more cigarette butts stuck under the upholstery. Bleah. Took the seat out of the truck and brought it inside to work on it.

As removed. Old and busted.

After 3 hours with some hog-ring pliers. New hotness.

And here it is in the truck.

The new vinyl isn't a perfect fit, but this isn't a Rolls Royce, so what the hey. It's comfy, looks a whole lot better than it did, and the last of the cigarette smell is finally gone, as far as I can tell. It was a good truck day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast