sbg  

AE Element
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Code Spray Paint for Lexan

Default Paint Code Spray Paint for Lexan

Hello All,

I would like to paint my clear Lexan body the same color as my real life truck.
    I have the paint code for Quicksand Toyota Tacoma handy, I just can't find confirmation that automotive paint will work on a Lexan body OR if there is a manufacturer that offers a custom spray paint aerosol cans based on paint code.

Pic for clicks.

Automotive paint will not work on a lexan body. Nice Taco. You have to use Polycarb specific paint, like the Tamiya PS series, or Pro-Line's airbrush-able line of Polycarb paint.

Why don't you wait for the MFAB 3D printed Taco hard body, so you can use real paint on it?
    Last edited by imthatguy; 02-18-2019 at 03:41 PM.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    Automotive paint will not work on a lexan body. Nice Taco. You have to use Polycarb specific paint, like the Tamiya PS series, or Pro-Line's airbrush-able line of Polycarb paint.

Why don't you wait for the MFAB 3D printed Taco hard body, so you can use real paint on it?
    I just emailed Paintscratch.com to see if they offer something that works with polycarbonate plastic. In the meantime, I did find an enamel based paint from Rustoleum, the color is almost perfect to Quicksand. It's called "Gloss Khaki".

Would you happen to know if Rustoleum paint with work?

As for the MFab, I am going to wait a little bit till I order it. It's on my wish list, but I want to break the truck a few times, before doing a replica build.

Honcho body while you build the m Fab how you want it

Quote Originally Posted by MilkTeacoma View Post
    I just emailed Paintscratch.com to see if they offer something that works with polycarbonate plastic. In the meantime, I did find an enamel based paint from Rustoleum, the color is almost perfect to Quicksand. It's called "Gloss Khaki".

Would you happen to know if Rustoleum paint with work?

As for the MFab, I am going to wait a little bit till I order it. It's on my wish list, but I want to break the truck a few times, before doing a replica build.
    If the paint isn't specifically for Polycarbonate, it won't adhere, and you'll be sad.

Default Paint Code Spray Paint for Lexan

You can use automotive paint on the outside of lexan as long as you Prime with adhesion promoter. Duplicolor makes it. Itís clear and helps paint stick to anything. Iíve had much success using it with automotive lacquer and enamels on lexan. Just follow the instructions on the can and youíre all set.
    Last edited by pardonmyn00b; 02-18-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    You can use automotive paint on the outside of lexan as long as you Prime with adhesion promoter. Duplicolor makes it. It’s clear and helps paint stick to anything. I’ve had much success using it with automotive lacquer and enamels on lexan. Just follow the instructions on the can and you’re all set.
    Oh shoot, yes, that is an option that I don't think I knew about. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
    Honcho body while you build the m Fab how you want it
    That's a great idea, I do like the Honcho body. But unfortunately I already have an extra body to play with. We'll see how this one will holds up.

If the paint isn't specifically for Polycarbonate, it won't adhere, and you'll be sad.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it. I don't want to be sad. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    You can use automotive paint on the outside of lexan as long as you Prime with adhesion promoter. Duplicolor makes it. It’s clear and helps paint stick to anything. I’ve had much success using it with automotive lacquer and enamels on lexan. Just follow the instructions on the can and you’re all set.
    Oh shoot, yes, that is an option that I don't think I knew about. Well played.
    Thanks fellas! All great suggestions. I will post up the results on my I finally decide what to do.

https://www.prolineracing.com/paint/

You can mix pretty much any solid color using just red, yellow, blue, white and black.
    Here's an example for mixing a sand color:
    https://trycolors.com/colors/c2b280/

I recently mixed my own mustard paint using Hobbynox paints using mostly yellow, a few drops of red and a drop of white and black. I used a $35 airbrush, it's not great but it works.
    https://i.imgur.com/qfNo0Rs.jpg

Just to stir the thread a little. I'm no painting wiz. Typically I can get paint to stick perfectly and lay down like glass on an unprepped dirty yogurt container, yet when I take every precaution in the world, I get horrible paint quality and woes! So in typical fashion I did a test of duplicolor that I liked on a piece of uncleaned unprepped lexan. To my surprise, I can't scrape it off and have bent the bageezus out of it and can't get it to even buckle. And that's without the adhesion promoter. I haven't painted the body yet...still bending and wondering about my test piece. I'll probably get the promoter and run with it. But I'm still confused why something that isn't supposed to work is working!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast