sbg  

GearHead
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Triniís Old Holden Shed !!

wish i had skills like that. hq ute would be cool on an onroad chassis

Quote Originally Posted by madazz View Post
    wish i had skills like that. hq ute would be cool on an onroad chassis
    Thanks mate! Working on a couple of One Tonners now, then a Wagon or two along with a HQ Monaro...

Finally got the molds done....!
    Had a bit of a snafu...I messed up the original master got it painted and clear coated, then realized that I used polycarb paint which resulted in the paint not curing properly and the headlight surrounds started to disintegrate

So had to remake the master.

Hereís a few pics of the cast bits and the master on the body...

EBB93F1B-44B0-4958-9A9D-7386785AF7A2 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

CD44D6F9-430C-4235-81CD-FAC1DEAF9399 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

95E53649-3368-4B1E-8B5A-0F9A47730DA3 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

And hereís a pic of the disaster...

ACA5FBBD-F394-4228-AC2C-5EC64F0B8627 by Preston Lalan, on Flickr

Hey Preston! I still love the messed up piece lol! The chrome and orange paint really makes it pop nicely. Is it me or that polycarbonate orange is quite a bit brighter and more red than your Sandman in the background?

Can't wait to see the progress on the one tonner, it is a very cool platform I think! Are they going to be more of a utility type with smaller stock-ish tires, or are you thinking customized and sporty? How 'bout you post some reference pics of the style you are into for each model?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    Hey Preston! I still love the messed up piece lol! The chrome and orange paint really makes it pop nicely. Is it me or that polycarbonate orange is quite a bit brighter and more red than your Sandman in the background?

Can't wait to see the progress on the one tonner, it is a very cool platform I think! Are they going to be more of a utility type with smaller stock-ish tires, or are you thinking customized and sporty? How 'bout you post some reference pics of the style you are into for each model?
    Hey Fred ! Yeah, the polycarbonate orange is a different shade from the one I used on the Sandman...! As for the Tonner, it all depends on how I go about the chassis...still not sure at the moment though.... it may be difficult to get stockish looking rims, although I think that the 1.55 landies might be the ticket... still have to think on it some more!

Would stock-ish be 15 inches rims? Did you calculate the exact scale of your body, so we can know what exact size wheels to look for? For instance by measuring the lenght of the whole car, or one specific part, and comparing to actual size.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederik View Post
    Would stock-ish be 15 inches rims? Did you calculate the exact scale of your body, so we can know what exact size wheels to look for? For instance by measuring the lenght of the whole car, or one specific part, and comparing to actual size.
    Well the dimensions scales out to 1/10, based on the 1:1 measurements that I found online - overall length, wheelbase and width. It may be off, but by a very small percentage, for example, the wheelbase on the 1:1 Sandman is 2896mm so 1/10 scale being 289.6 mm. The wheelbase of the TF2 chassis that I used is 287mm. The stock wheels are 14Ē. So 1.55 are the closest that I can get off the shelf, other than those, there are the VTA wheel and tire combo similar to the HPI vintage ones that have the tires fitting on the side of the wheel, giving the impression of a smaller wheel with a taller tire sidewall...

Funny how your "disasters" are neater than my "masterpieces."...

Quote Originally Posted by Trini2DBone View Post
    Well the dimensions scales out to 1/10, based on the 1:1 measurements that I found online - overall length, wheelbase and width. It may be off, but by a very small percentage, for example, the wheelbase on the 1:1 Sandman is 2896mm so 1/10 scale being 289.6 mm. The wheelbase of the TF2 chassis that I used is 287mm. The stock wheels are 14”. So 1.55 are the closest that I can get off the shelf, other than those, there are the VTA wheel and tire combo similar to the HPI vintage ones that have the tires fitting on the side of the wheel, giving the impression of a smaller wheel with a taller tire sidewall...
    Mmm 14” wheels are actually 15” since the bead is the part that is 14”. So you would be looking for a wheel of 1.4” which happens to be the dimension of Tamiya Mini (M chassis) wheels. Maybe it would be worth buying a cheap set and see if the dimension looks right. At first glance it looks small, but the math seems to tell it should be the right size??

I recently discovered the Tamiya truck tires tamiya #51589 that fit on M chassis wheels, but have way beefier profile. Thinking it would look nice maybe, I have a set so I'll snap a picture of these tires on the various M chassis wheels I got, maybe one of them you will like! I think it would look more like a classic fat, high profile but sporty tire though, not a stock narrow tire.

I'll measure them up too. I think they are the same outer diameter as regular touring car tires.

I have just measured and the tires are quite a bit bigger than tourning car diameter, they measure about 2.75 inch. And I measured the M chassis wheels, they are more like 1.6 inch, so they scale at 15 inch wheels. You might find difficult to find M chassis wheels that would match the style you need on this type of car though.

The other nice options are those wheels with a fake sidewall you talked about. You can either put normal tires on them (flatter sidewall and not too wide, otherwise the tire buldge will not look right with the fake sidewall). There are two different types, you should use the ones with the smaller fake sidewall, not the drift ones with the wide plastic band, these are for a streched look tire (the sidewall is much angled and looks weird).

Also if you choose the right wheels type like these:

The HPI vintage tires actually fit over the fake sidewall step, and it looks 100% legit sidewall just like the factory HPI wheels (on the right above). If you put regular tires on them they can also look quite good depending on the tire (left).

EDIT: took a few more measurements and made the calculation what 1:1 size they represent if your bodies are 1:10, but I don't know what tires dimension the 1:1 had:

Order from left to right in below pic:

235/75/17 1.55 dirt grabber on 1.55 steelies
    245/50/16 hpi vintage tires on hpi vintage wheels or on the gold wheels
    235/65/15 Tamiya racing truck tires on tamiya M chassis wheels
    225/45/15 tamiya 60mm tires on tamiya M chassis wheels

I think the rear racing truck wheels are concave enough you could put an insert in them or modify them to look like you want. Most of the other M chassis diameter wheels look more like FWD cars...

245/60/17 Tamiya racing truck tires on 1.55 landies (center in below pics)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast