sbg  

GearHead
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: VS4-10 Black Edition - durability of anodizing?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    35

    Default VS4-10 Black Edition - durability of anodizing?

    Hey all,

    I am considering pulling the trigger on a Vanquish VS4-10, not because I need one but rather this fits into the pure want category. It is just such a nice piece of kit.

    My question is black or silver edition? I am not too concerned with the scrapes and scratches and the black would look better with my current idea for a paint scheme (dark ivy green) but I would like to have some feedback on just how easily the anodizing is removed from the axles.

    I have seen some images of the standard silver units and they are quite banged up. Having only ever had RC4WD and Axial axles, I am not sure how the Vanquish finish stands up and some interwebs searching did not provide an answer.

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    It no longer exists.
    Posts
    10,790

    Default

    It holds up like you would expect anodizing to. It's chemically bonded to the metal, not paint. Scratches of course will show through, but it's an excellent process that's quite strong. Axial axles are plastic, and RC4WD paints theirs. Vanquish's finish is infinitely better than paint.
    Last edited by imthatguy; 02-15-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    It holds up like you would expect anodizing to. It's chemically bonded to the metal, not paint. Scratches of course will show through, but it's an excellent process that's quite strong. Axial axles are plastic, and RC4WD paints theirs. Vanquish's finish is infinitely better than paint.
    Thanks Matt. I figured this would be the case but again not having seen any evidence I did not want to assume anything. Thanks again for the info and all that you do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    It no longer exists.
    Posts
    10,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tkw75 View Post
    Thanks Matt. I figured this would be the case but again not having seen any evidence I did not want to assume anything. Thanks again for the info and all that you do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No worries, you'll be quite pleased with the quality of the VS4. I really, really love mine.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
    No worries, you'll be quite pleased with the quality of the VS4. I really, really love mine.
    So today I went to my LHS and ordered a black edition. Really looking forward to the build and making it my own. Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    237

    Default

    You will love it! Enjoyable build for sure. Watch the you tube videos on building it from Harley while you wait for it to arrive!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Lots of plans but no time to execute...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrkilburn View Post
    You will love it! Enjoyable build for sure. Watch the you tube videos on building it from Harley while you wait for it to arrive!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have that covered... I think Matt and Josh will see a slight bump in their YouTube revenues this month! The truck should be here on Tuesday; very anxious to say the least. I am thinking of making a build thread but not sure I am up to the level of the others around here. Will definitely post completed pics at the minimum.

    Thanks for the reassurance I have made a good decision.

    Cheers!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    35

    Default

    So I did a thing. Looking forward to tearing into the kit... but it will have to wait as I am currently rebuilding my Tamiya Euro truck for this weeks race.

    Cheers.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •