sbg  

Pro-Line
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And yet another Bug

Default And yet another Bug

My first Bug is still evolving but I've picked up a Sand Scorcher body and have started building bits and pieces for it. I got a 3D printer a few weeks back and have been working on printing an engine for it. I'm going to use the Boom Racing BRX70 PHAT axles. They are narrow. Super narrow. As in 148.5mm pin-to-pin (5.846 inches). That's about perfect for a Sand Scorcher body. I've got some MST CMX rails and am bouncing around some different ideas for a transmission. I've got a planetary gear box and transfer case that I'll give a whirl but if they don't work out I'll see what else if out there. Here are some pics.

Here's the engine so far.
    IMG_8761.jpg

Here are the rejects as I got the 3D printer dialled in to print those fine fins on the cylinders and heads.
    IMG_8765.jpg

I've picked up a few parts from Shapeways as well. A louvered rear sun shade by Junkyard Stance.
    IMG_8767.jpg

And a dashboard by Scorched Parts.
    IMG_8769.jpg

Here are the chassis rails and transfer case.
    IMG_8592.jpg

I'm using the Boom Racing BRX70 axles. They are as narrow as. How do you like that minimalist chassis?
    IMG_8475.jpg

Here's the body on the chassis with Boom Racing wheels and tires as well. Also narrow.
    IMG_8651.jpg

And here's the top view. Not quite total tire tuck but close.
    user70383_pic66735_1547531598.jpeg

You can see the width of the axles and tires better here.
    IMG_8491.jpg

And lastly here's a comparison of the Sand Scorcher body to my other Bug which is based on a 1/8.66 scale Carisma body.
    IMG_8400.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

I've been as busy as at work so haven't had much time to play with the 3D printer. Did get a few more parts printed. Got lots of sanding ahead and a few more parts to print, some glueing and boom! A new engine.

The bolt here is 1mm in diameter. This is the generator clamp.
    IMG_8833.jpg

And a few more bits. This is the stock exhaust. May change it up.
    IMG_8830.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

I like how this is shaping up. Please continue.

Thank you sir! Continue I shall. Printing more parts at the moment.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Wow, those axles are really nice. 4x4 bugs are so fun. Glad you found a way to tuck the tires (mostly).
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Yeah, I love the size of these axles. They fit the bug body pretty well. The skinny rims and tires help too. Haven’t finished the chassis yet so can’t really say how well the axles work so I’d best get on that eh.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

So, how good is this. I'm thinking to myself that maybe it would be nice to put dual carburetors on this engine so last night I go looking on the internet for some pictures to try to model and then 3D print. I stumbled across this. A guy by the name of maiersbus posted printable 3D carbs on February 2 on Thingiverse. He even showed pictures of the carbs mounted on the same stl of the engine that I printed. They were posted full scale but printing them at 1/10 scale seems to work. Serendipity at its best!

A bit of cleanup is needed and some glueing. I have some new 0.2mm nozzles coming so I may reprint when they get here. This was printed with a 0.4mm nozzle.

IMG_8837.jpg

IMG_8838.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Started making links for the chassis. It's laser cut by a local fella out here.
    IMG_8870.jpg
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Looking great so far. Loving the engine progress!
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Thanks Jeff. It's slowly starting to take shape.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast