sbg  

RPP Associated

Thread: First build, ever. Need help

Default First build, ever. Need help

So Iím diving head first into a Axial Raw kit and I am having a hard time deciding what to do for my electronics.
    I read mixed things everywhere I look about brushed vs brushless and what systems are best.
    Looking to keep the combo under $200.

Any direction would be great. Is there a thread on this that i overlooked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loads of info everywhere... which can make things even harder! Everyone has a different opinion!

Maybe depends on what your intended use is, for my more scale builds I don't need wheelspeed, both are brushed with hobbywing escs, one 1060 (really cheap) and one 1080 (really cheap for what you get, lots more programming options).

I've got a couple of rc4wd cheap brushed motors, currently enjoying a Holmes 550 27t trailmaster sport, also pretty cheap. You can pair a Holmes Trailmaster Sport with a Hobbywing for $40-$60 which suits me very well. I am intending to go for a brushless combo in the honcho though, it's a bit more big tyre/performance based. If you have the budget I'm sure you'd see the benefits, particularly the combination of good high and low speed performance. But...

Servos are also important, I find the PowerHD units good value, have the 20kg and 23kg versions. You could well also need a bec, I think the Castle Bec is what most people use. If you can afford a high level servo it will come with its own receiver bypass.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Default First build, ever. Need help

Definitely a start and something to consider.
    And yes of course a servo. Iíll be piecing this together through out the winter.
    My intentions right now are just recreational use to have some fun. Some lights but not much more than head/tail lights and light bar.
    I want to start with the basics so I can understand everything before I get consumed with the scale stuff

What are some pros and cons brushed vs brushless for crawling?
    I get that brushless is more powerful and efficient but I see a lot more talk about brushed systems in crawling than with short course trucks.

I've only used brushless in racers so most on here will know the comparisons better than me, however, I think the reason brushed is still used quite a lot in the scale world is because it's really good at going slow- really good smooth start-up. Brushless is a draw both because of the ability to do slow and fast well (in a crawler specific esc, motor combo) and because it doesn't require any maintainance.

Might be an idea to find a few build threads similar to what you want to do on here, most people say which electronics they're using and would be happy to answer specific questions about them. So many options with the Raw kit, great place to start! What body do you have in mind?

Well, Iíve always wanted a wrangler and come to accept that is not going to happen now so a 1/10 version will have to suffice.
    Iím thinking white with black accents (storm trooper vibe)
    Still thinking about the scale options but thatís something I can piece together as I go.
    Just saw a combo on Amain for $180 that has motor/esc/servo and 3s LIPO battery. But I question if itís worth going that route or do I really need ďbetterĒ electronics.

Lots of guys local to me use a Holmes Hobbies brushed Trailmaster 550 motor either in a 21 or 27 turn. Just about any esc will run it, but the axial ae5 seems to be the best bang for your buck. Any decent 3s battery will last a decent amount of time on it and have all the wheel speed you would want. A hitec 645MG is a decent cheap servo that work when you want it too and dosen't need a BEC like most high torque ones
    Also know as The Scale Builder on Facebook and Instagram

Crawlmaster 13t
    Hobbywing 1080
    Killer budget combo for $100.
    I had a MMP on my bench