sbg  

LockedUp RC

Thread: Where to begin?

Default Where to begin?

Hi, looking at starting a project but have never done scale vehicles before. Is the first step to find a suitable chassis. Do i build one from scratch or is there a base model to start with. Im looking at 1/10 scale.

Cheers
    Hamish

Hello and welcome around! Lots of options out there nowadays. Any idea what vehicle (real size) you would like to replicate?

Welcome!

Could be a good option to read through some of the different build threads here, particularly Guild's Finest, loads of great inspiration, then also browse what you can find locally or online, so much choice depending on what trucks you like, how much or little modifying/scratch building you want to do and what your budget options are.

Where are you based?

Best bet would be to find a kit and go from there. RC4WD Or Axial is a great place to start. If you want to get a little more options on how you build it check our GCM Racing. Their chassis offerings can be made to accept many different axles and transmissions.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

I currently own a 2007 nissan xtrail and would like to replicate that but since been new to this im guessing i should start with something a bit more of a box.

Im based in New Zealand. I have read a few threads already and ideas are just coming to me now but i keep getting stuck on what chassis is the right one for the build. Is there a go to chassis that everyone uses.

As Noob said, the offerings from Axial and RC4WD are excellent, the SCX10ii is very capable and easy to change wheelbase being linked, TF2 or Gelande 2 are more scale accurate, particularly if you want leaf springs (TF2).

I've never had the chance to build anything GCM yet but their chassis seem to give you the chance to do more of a custom setup to exactly replicate your desired truck, beautiful scale gearboxes too which can also be installed in the SCX10ii or TF2.

I don't know if anyone already makes an Xtrail body??? Worth having a look at JSscale and Loops Model for bodies as well as RC4WD, Tamiya and Asiatees (Boom and Raffee).

Quote Originally Posted by chappie View Post
    Is there a go to chassis that everyone uses.
    Not really as there is plenty of options nowadays and parts (rc crawling parts to be spesific) are highly interchangeable between the platforms.

Axial SCX-10.2 Raw Builders kit has everything you need chassis wise. It has no body or tires or electonics so these you need to find to suit your build. X-Trail body you probably have to make or print yourself.

I had very good time building my first RC4WD Gelšnde 2 and it got me hooked in this fine hobby! Recommended highly for beginners with basic wreching skills!