sbg  

AE Element
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's got what?

Amazon had a lightning deal on the Ender 3 last week. $65 off. Discovered the sale from a targeted ad on Facebook. Otherwise I would have missed out. Have only printed some of the parts recommended to help printing as well as a milk crate and a star ornament that twisted out into a 3d shape after printing as one piece. So far it is doing a great job. Printing in PLA. Picked up some Neat Premium PLA from 3D Printing Canada. So far so good. They were selling an Enhanced PLA that claimed to be as strong as ABS.

Dang, that must be why they're out of stock now. Thanks for the reply.

I've got an Anycubic Mega S. Just got it. Thanks Santa. Here it is doing it's first print. The demo owls that came with it.

Also have a Creality CR-10s at work. It works very well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8704.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	28272
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

I've got the Tevo Tornado. I'm loving it. I first thought 3D printers were something out of my price range and than I saw Josh's video's on the Tevo and I grabbed one as soon as I could. I have had no problems besides the hot end cooling fan fins just breaking off, this was due to filament strands collecting inside the housing but other than that no issues. I also have the 2nd Gen so I think a lot of the software kinks got worked out. At least parts are cheap.

I've had my Prusa MK3 for around 7 months now and am very happy with it. I got the builders kit shipped form the Czech Republic and over the course of a couple evenings put the printer together. Since this was my first printer I'm glad I went this route as it gave me a good understanding of the components and how they interact. As well the slicing software is tailored for their printer models which was helpful for a noob like myself. The printer has been rock solid for me thus far, absolutely zero issues and very happy with the print quality. I primarily print with PETG or PLA depending on the application. I did pick up a spool of HIPS recently but haven't tried it as of yet.

The biggest hurdle I've had to overcome was the 3D design software aspect. I've worked in the IT industry for the past 20+ years and code on a daily basis but 3D modelling is a completely different discipline to learn. After a few months of tutorials/casual use/experimentation things are really starting to click finally... fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
    So random question, does anyone run a resin printer? And is there any downside to them for RC? (Weak/heavy/etc)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I run a variety of printers at work.

As a general rule, Resin is messy and post-process intensive. I personally run the Formlabs Form 2, an SLA resin printer for our team. Every part requires a two-stage alcohol agitated bath followed by a post-cure in a UV oven. The print quality is exceptionally detailed, but FDM has made huge strides in that arena over the last few years so it's substantially less of a selling point these days. Our Carbon 1 SLA printer is even more post-process intense, sometimes involving long post cure cycles and an absurd amount of material safety precautions (mixing resin under a negative pressure fume hood, for example).

With access to a Form 2 and a Carbon 1 SLA printer, it should be of note that for my personal one I'm shopping for FDM.

Been meaning to post in this thread for a while...glad to see the 3D printing section on the forum now.

My home FDM printer will be three years old in March. It started life as a Makerfarm Pegasus 10" printer kit. It was a pretty fun building project, and at the time offered one of the largest build volumes for the price. Naturally I have modified it a good bit to improve performance/quality. One of the best mods I did early on was build an enclosure for it. This helps keep the temps stable and warmer which was a big deal in getting large ABS prints to not warp or delaminate. It is also helpful in containing all the micro particles that are put into the air during the extrusion process that aren't the best for our lungs. It is made from aluminum extrusion and 1/8" lexan.

I also upgraded the extruder to the E3D Titan, which works with the existing V6 hot end. The Titan allowed me to run a smaller stepper motor, reducing the mass of the extruder helping overall quality a bit. I also added an extruder fan shroud that draws air from up top. This was a nice improvement when using ABS also. The extruder fan was drawing air right across the print thus prematurely cooling and causing warping. I also added a directional cooling fan for when using materials that require active cooling (PLA, PETG, etc.) during printing.

Like most everyone else, I tried many different methods to get good bed adhesion with various materials. Painters tape, hair spray, glue stick, etc. But finally I stumbled upon PEI bed surfaces. This stuff just works...sometimes too well. I even had to dial back my heated bed temps to reduce adhesion simply to be able to remove things from it. It lasts too. I haven't been keeping count, but I think I have printed more than a hundred things on the original sheet that I installed.

So, that is my setup. Nothing super fancy, but it works and has been reliable.
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

I'm running a Creality Ender 3 with few mods. Capricorn bowden tube,glass bed and waiting for the better bed springs. Prints OK

i think I started back in 2012? with the Makerfarm prusa clone then added one of those acrylic printers because i need to print alot before an event. I then built my own using extruded alum then got the Rigidbot. All printed ok but the rigidbot was the best out of them in terms of consistency all the parts are injection molded. It may not have the best controller but mechanically it just worked. I did replace the controller board, extruder and added fans. but until now it is a good one.

I then got the Ecubemaker pro 2 which i changed to the micro swiss hotend and added a fan. Found another one and did the same. Both printers are going strong for the past 5 years. I use them mostly for dashboards or where i need an almost perfect dimensions. Now i added 2 Wanhao D9 for larger prints and fast prototyping.

I play around with settings and mostly change the hotend to microswiss when the hotend starts to jam. Print mostly with PLA and occasionally with PETG and TPU. I stopped abs because i could not make a hole in the basement to vent out. Wife would not allow me :) over the years materials get better with cabon fibre nylon for strength.

upto now i still use ski poles to hold the filaments :)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190108_171305.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	28948

Printing with a bone stock green Tornado, been a great machine so far, few if any troubles! Print fails can be traced back to me being an idiot for the most part. Only mods are a fang and nylon wire covers. Dubbed "The Green Bastard" but I am totally satisfied printing in PLA, haven't tried anything else. Probably just jinxed myself and it'll all go to hell tomorrow...lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast