sbg  

GearHead
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 60's F1 racer

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    When you look at this you'd think it was a kit, the execution is top notch. I wonder if anyone with connections to one of the RC manufacturers is paying attention....hello Tamiya, HPI etc....this could easily be made into a kit, a scale racing class could follow!!! Cool stuff!!
    Couldn't agree more. Amazing execution. I want one...
    smallfactorystudio on instagram / lone wolf / doer of many things

Quote Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
    When you look at this you'd think it was a kit, the execution is top notch. I wonder if anyone with connections to one of the RC manufacturers is paying attention....hello Tamiya, HPI etc....this could easily be made into a kit, a scale racing class could follow!!! Cool stuff!!
    Thanks!
    Would be really cool if that would happen but highly unlikely. I'd be over the moon if any manufacturer would just coldly rob the design. Has any manufacturer ever contacted a regular Bob the builder in this kind of a matter? I know that recently Tamiya USA representative took two Pintopower/Ampro design trucks to Japan to show them to Tamiya big bosses, but I don't know how it turned out. It would be great though to see F1's in a bigger scale again. Kyosho did some in the past. And scale on road racing too.

Quote Originally Posted by pera2008 View Post
    i like it a lot, it is Engineering and designer marvell
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Small Factory View Post
    Couldn't agree more. Amazing execution. I want one...
    Thanks! You can and should build one too.

I see red...

And now it's red. But there's a slight tone difference between some of the parts. Bottom part and motor housing is darker than the nose cone and cockpit. I used white primer on all parts but bottom and rear has three coats of red paint and the rest has two, so that might be the reason. I hope I have enough paint for the third coat.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the resin printed bottom parts have an annoying tendency to curl in when painted and then they wont fit properly. I have used hairdryer to heat them a bit and adjust the fit. I hope they settle down once clear coated.

I need to get some cool Ferrari decals from MCI racing.

can`t wait to see it finished

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpig View Post
    Thanks!
    Would be really cool if that would happen but highly unlikely. I'd be over the moon if any manufacturer would just coldly rob the design. Has any manufacturer ever contacted a regular Bob the builder in this kind of a matter? I know that recently Tamiya USA representative took two Pintopower/Ampro design trucks to Japan to show them to Tamiya big bosses, but I don't know how it turned out. It would be great though to see F1's in a bigger scale again. Kyosho did some in the past. And scale on road racing too.
    Back when I was a factory driver for Team Losi, the short course trend was rising, I built my own truck based of the xxx-t and they used it to basically copy part for part into the production SC truck they came out with. Another case more similar to yours, I started designing and building my IFS kit for the sx10ii chassis. A company did actually reach out to me about consulting on the design of a similar unit with them for production but things fell through. Goes to show if you're making something they are interested in its definitely not out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wachter View Post
    Back when I was a factory driver for Team Losi, the short course trend was rising, I built my own truck based of the xxx-t and they used it to basically copy part for part into the production SC truck they came out with. Another case more similar to yours, I started designing and building my IFS kit for the sx10ii chassis. A company did actually reach out to me about consulting on the design of a similar unit with them for production but things fell through. Goes to show if you're making something they are interested in its definitely not out of the ordinary.
    Thanks for the info Jonny! And you're doing nice stuff, I like your IFS designs.
    I'll hope the next big thing in rc is 60's F1 racing in 1/8 scale There are actually one company making 60's F1 bodies in 1/10 scale.

But, today I got the chassis completely assembled and I made the heat shield for the engine. I used 0,5 mm aluminum plate and 1 mm brass rivets. Some rivets needs to be replaced and others adjusted. It needs some cleaning up and then paint. And soon I could add some motor wirings.

Body parts are clear coated and drying. I'll wait few days before I start polishing them.

Also, I've been tinkering with the idea of using standard 1/8 on road foam tires with this car. It shouldn't be too hard to design and 3d print the adapters to fit the tires. No 3d models yet, but I'll make something eventually.

Body parts are now dry enough to handle so I put it all together.

I nearly destroyed the nose cone and the bottom body part. I left the parts to dry on my balcony and it just happens to be a heat wave here and the parts sat in a direct sunlight. So they warped massively. Cockpit part is PLA and it stayed intact but the resin parts were distorted to the point I thought they were unusable. I got them to fit with a little help of a hair dryer and warm water but the nose cone is still a bit of a mess. I'll try to shape it even more but first I'll need to sand and polish everything.

speechless. amaying job

This looking really amazing so far. Great design and execution!
    -Jeff
    Mod19RC Shapeways Store
    IG: @RexRacer19

Thanks pera and Rex!

Today I added some cables and clamps to the dummy V12 and I think that completes it.

I have started to polish the body but next I should really start thinking how to mount the battery.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast