sbg  

LockedUp RC
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 60's F1 racer

Haha! The things we do for tiny cars and trucks. Looks great man!
    Pictures...... or it didn't happen.

This week I have received my SLS printed parts from Shapeways and Materflow. Here's the parts layout.

All the A-arms and some other pieces are glass reinforced nylon. Don't know how they compare to no basic nylon but I thought I'd give them a try. They feel tough though. Next I'll need to ream and drill and tap everything.

Here's some close ups how the gearbox goes together.

I had some issues with the tolerances, even though I used typical spacings what I had successfully used before. The bearings for the pinion shaft sits way too loose in their chamber. I solved this by adding a one layer of clear tape around the bearings. Now the fit is better but not perfect but I think it'll do just fine. The shaft will get cut shorter so there'll be much less leverage.

Carbon fibre parts are also on their way from UK. I thought I'd have them by now but the finnish postal system does what it does the best once the package had arrived here in Finland and just sits on it. No movement what so ever

Very nice to see all these detailed parts starting to become real. Looks very promising! Hopefully the other parts arrive soon.

This is looking really cool. Keep it up.

Thanks, Frederik and Sigmon!

I got the carbon fibre parts on monday.

And along this week I've been assembling this machine.

Everything went on smoothly and there wasn't any issues or misalignments. But there is an design problem with the front upper control arms. Currently the angle between the arm and the steering knuckle is too great and it causes some jamming in the rod ends in the upper control arm. I could fix this by redesigning either the upper control arms or the front lower shock bracket. I'm leaning towards the new shock bracket.

I haven't yet cut the other rear tire, that's why there's narrow tires in the back now. They were just for the photos and I really wanted to get this rolling. But I'll probably cut the tire today evening. Next, I'll have to design something to hold the battery down.

So far, I really like how this has progressed but I really want the body. That will make this truly a F1 racer.

Default 60's F1 racer

Incredible work sir. Good feeling when things come together nicely. I canít wait to see the motor get stuffed in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow this thing is really coming together! Your parts design is spot on. What's the wheelbase going to be? I know these old F1s were pretty tiny.
    Cheers eh!
    Todd

Thanks Deric and Tossedman!

This is 1/8 scale and the wheelbase is 300mm.

Wow that pile of parts assembled quickly, very nice assembled chassis! I really like the rear suspension geometry, looks awesome and beautiful stance already with the custom wheels and tires. What did you use for front springs and shocks? I see the upper arms are used as cantilever but we cannot see what is attached to the inside end of the upper arms.

For the front steering geometry, it looks like having the servo saver horn flipped on its pivot to point towards the rear instead of front (and mounted a bit more forward to clear) the tie rods would be angled the other way and would maybe create a better steering geometry. Not sure the servo-to-horn link would clear the right side tie rod though... Or you could try to move the servo saver pivot back, and place it inside the suspension box with only the servo saver end protruding?

i like how it turned out. Impressive design skills

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast