sbg  

RPP UMG
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i braze properly?

Default how do i braze properly?

hi all,i was just wondering how to braze properly?i've tryed a few things but nothing seems to work,if anyone could tell me what i would need(tools,supplys,metal types,etc)to do it right,it would be much appreciated:)

Have you actually tried it? First tell us what youíre doing so we can let you know if youíre doing it correctly.

Most of us braze steel.
    Youíll need a torch hotter than regular propane like a MAP gas torch.
    Youíll need silver solder something like safety silv 56
    Flux. Best to use the same brand of flux as the silver.

Clean metal, apply flux, mate two pieces together, heat with torch until red then hit with silver, remove heat, donít touch.
    SBG Junior Vice President RC4WDCASTLEGCM

here's what i've been doing and using:a small iroda torch(the kind that uses a lighter inside)silver solder for metal and fiux for plumbing,i start by putting on some flux,i mate the pieces together and and try to melt the solder in the joint sort of like electronics soldering.i also tryed to do it with steel on steel and brass on steel(the brass failed epicly!-lol!)thank you much pardonmyn00b:)

Yeah sounds like you donít have a hot enough torch and your flux is likely burning off too soon.

that explains alot,could you tell me what's the best flux for the job?all i can find here is plumbing flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasguzzler View Post
    that explains alot,could you tell me what's the best flux for the job?all i can find here is plumbing flux.
    Do you have any welding shops nearby? Otherwise youíll have to order online. Something like this will get you started.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Harris-45k-Sa...6367b4ffd8c094

thanks for the link!i'll check out my local welding shop,but if they don't carry it(small town with not much inventory)i'll grab it online.thanks for all the help,when i learn(and upgrade my account)i'll post some pics of the rig i'm learning it for!:)

the stuff noob suggested is the best. I actually buy it at a auto parts store. when using it on steel you will need a MAP gas torch. propane will not be hot enough. Map is too hot for brass.

Quote Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
    Have you actually tried it? First tell us what you’re doing so we can let you know if you’re doing it correctly.

Most of us braze steel.
    You’ll need a torch hotter than regular propane like a MAP gas torch.
    You’ll need silver solder something like safety silv 56
    Flux. Best to use the same brand of flux as the silver.

Clean metal, apply flux, mate two pieces together, heat with torch until red then hit with silver, remove heat, don’t touch.
    This makes it sound do-able for me! Ive been hesitant to try with no experience... You tube videos were awful to try and learn from...
    So I touch it with my fingers when red hot.. Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by ToyRCota88 View Post
    This makes it sound do-able for me! Ive been hesitant to try with no experience... You tube videos were awful to try and learn from...
    So I touch it with my fingers when red hot.. Got it!
    And build it in your bed.
    SBG OWNER YOUTUBE AXIAL AMBASSADOR GCM TEAM DRIVER VANQUISH KNIGHT CUSTOMS TEAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast